Voltmeter & Headlight Replacements/Types - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Voltmeter & Headlight Replacements/Types

I'm getting my 85 VN700 this coming Friday. I will be tearing it apart and stripping/painting it and doing some other mods as well. I have a KA voltmeter to install on it. I will probably run it directly off the battery to a small toggle switch mounted by the fuel gauge/light cluster, since I am not very keen on tapping the headlight wiring. I know these are very bright LED's on this paricular voltmeter, but the brightness will be controlled by a thin peice of 25% - 35% dark window tint over the LED's so I don't get night blindness. Sound good?

Next question-- I want to replace the headlight to cut back on some of the power used on the charging system. I believe the 85 is a solid glass headlight, correct? I see some of you on the site talk about replacing the bulb. What year did Kawasaki put a headlight with a replaceable bulb on the Vulcan? I would like to get one for mine and experiment with different style bulbs that will give me better sight at night. I live in a rural area and most of our riding is done at night on barely 2 lane backroads that are rather curvey. Any suggestions of what I should be looking at or where to find? I don't have a ton of money to spend on it, and also buy/sell online at E-bay a lot.
I am as cheap as they come sometimes and always try to find the best product for the right price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I also put tint film over my LEds works great.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Once Banned

Quote:
I live in a rural area and most of our riding is done at night on barely 2 lane backroads that are rather curvey. Any suggestions of what I should be looking at...
Yeah. Look at the road. If you look at the sky, you're liable to wreck.

So 85's didn't have a bulb you can take out? Fascinating...

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by racohoon
I believe the 85 is a solid glass headlight, correct? I see some of you on the site talk about replacing the bulb. What year did Kawasaki put a headlight with a replaceable bulb on the Vulcan?
Going by Ron Ayer's diagrams, which don't have the '85 listed, from '86 on had the replacable bulb (seperate from the glass lens)
The tint on the led's sounds like a good idea.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

The other 85 VN700 I had did not have a bulb, it was a sealed beam. After I hit the deer and had to replace the entire light. So I am assuming this 85 to be the same. All I remember is that the light pattern on my old 85 sucked!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

This 85 does have a replaceable bulb. The light pattern looks a lot better than my other VN700. I read somewhere there is something like a 35W/65W replacement bulb (or something close to those #'s).
I want to drop it from the stock 55W low beam and install some low watt halogen or LED lights on the front forks. This way I don't overload the charging system.
If I do use LED's do I have to purchase some kind of LED box/unit to wire into my electrical system?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Just my opinion, but putting a Silverstar replacement bulb in there will generally have a bigger light effect than putting a lesser bulb and adding lesser wattage halogen driving lights. My bike with only the silverstar is unbelievable bright. 2 cents worth!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy
Just my opinion, but putting a Silverstar replacement bulb in there will generally have a bigger light effect than putting a lesser bulb and adding lesser wattage halogen driving lights. My bike with only the silverstar is unbelievable bright. 2 cents worth!
dont use the silver star.... too pricy and u lost light throught the blue tint... use the xtravision.... its the same bulb without the blue tint (most halogen light is yellow and green)

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Once Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
too pricy and u lost light throught the blue tint...
Well hell, that explains what that puddle is under my wife's car. Oh wait, you just said it was lost, not leaking! If that's not the puddle under the car, then is the light being lost into the engine? Now I'm gonna drive myself nuts trying to find something else I lost. Dang it, Hizzo!

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegodsey
If that's not the puddle under the car, then is the light being lost into the engine? Now I'm gonna drive myself nuts trying to find something else I lost.
I don't think you'll find it Ernie.
Light is like an Orange. As an Orange is orange .... the Light is ... light, so once it's lost, it floats upwards, into the atmosphere, degrading the ozone.
I haven't given this hypothesis to the government yet, but I'm sure they'll figure it out once the spend 45.7 million on a study for it.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement