MOSFET Install - Fail - Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Question MOSFET Install - Fail - Questions

Put the MOSFET R/R kit on today, it's not charging at all.

Am I correct in thinking the plug from the old R/R gets disconnected from the old R/R and sealed?

Any suggestions on what to check?

I crimped and soldered all the connections. Ran 12ga primary wire off the stator, instead of the factory 14ga. Used the 10ga wire from the kit for the battery connections and the yellow wire for the headlight relay is connected to a stator wire. Relocated the new R/R to behind the left side cover.

The only part that works, the headlight comes on after the engine fires up. Other than a defective R/R, I don't know what could have gone wrong.

I might have problems if the R/R is defective, I bought it back in Nov.

The stator checks out good, I've checked it so many times I have the procedure memorized. I tested it repeatedly before ordering the MOSFET kit.

The battery is AGM and only three months old.

Wrote this post earlier, but must have been so rattled I didn't submit it. If this ends up being a duplicate, mods feel free to delete one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Ok, I found the test specs for the MOSFET R/R and it's failing the G-A1,2,3 test.

Guess I'll contact Roadstercycle and see if they'll help me out.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM

Daymn son....I was gonna say, you did all right and then some....glad ya went up on the wire gauge.... ....nice !...some folks actually listen to me, lol...

Ya...definitely a bad unit....shove it back up their poopchutes....

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Wink

I'm sweating it. He's not on Ebay now and Kelly never got back to the post about going to the Roadstercycle shop in person to get a defective R/R squared away. Hoping they're both just busy.

My receipt says I paid on Dec. 5th, but in the Ebay listing under warranty, it just says "yes". Can't find a word about a warranty on the Roadstercycle website. I'm just concerned about the amount of time that's passed from purchase to today.

Yes, Kaw definitely went light on the wire gauges. 14ga at the stator and 16ga elsewhere, some are even smaller, need to look again and see what that tiny thread of wire went to. I might have gone even larger but I guess I used it all up. My bike had the melted insulation at the bullet connectors on the R/R side of the connection. The rest of the wires in the harness beside the battery don't look very stout at all and a lot of the crimp connectors are sloppy looking. That post about the wire gauge was replaying in my mind the whole time.

We had 65 or better today, I was dyin' to take that test ride! Time to get this show on the road!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
He's not on Ebay now and Kelly never got back to the post about going to the Roadstercycle shop in person to get a defective R/R squared away. Hoping they're both just busy.
Lotta that goin on lately....frickin sad...all I can suggest then is to replace with a Shindagen (whatever)...its what I have and its been fine...I dont have a belly though...I think if you get the Shin, and mount it away from heat, you'll be fine...will get ya on the road quick anyway, for half the cost...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Ok, I found the test specs for the MOSFET R/R and it's failing the G-A1,2,3 test.

Guess I'll contact Roadstercycle and see if they'll help me out.
Did you use this test ( from Mosfet ) and did you have your meter set on diode check ? If it still fails I would be almost certain that Roadstercycle will take care of you.

Here is the Mosfet FH020AA diagnostic check from Roadstercycles: I quote: Multimeter on diode check.
Positive multimeter lead to positive mosfet pin, negative multimeter to each stator pin 1 at a time, should get all zeros.
Negative multimeter lead to positive mosfet pin, positive multimeter to each stator pins 1 at a time should get all close to the same, about 100, I've seen 70 to 140 depending on ambient weather (still all good).
Now, Positive multimeter lead to negative mosfet pin, negative lead to each stator lead 1 at a time should get 435 ish all close to the same (again varies by ambient temp).
Negative multimeter to negative mosfet pin, positive multimeter to each stator pin 1 at a time, should get zeros.
If you get a zero where you should not or a number where you should not, then you possibly have a bad mosfet, odds are not good of that." End quote

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

The Shindengen FH020AA is what I'm working with. I mounted it behind the left side cover. Thinking I'll leave the old R/R in place as a sort of heat shield for the battery and all. Bolts are probably seized up anyway.

If I get to it, I could draw out the template I used to make the mount plate and post it somewhere, maybe in Tanner's thread about the side cover mounting if that's acceptable.

Had an old aluminum/teflon skillet headed to the scrap so I cut the plate out of that.

Mounting there makes getting to the fuses a little more tricky, but I'll keep a 10mm in the toolkit anyway. Two bolts and it's off.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
The Shindengen FH020AA is what I'm working with. I mounted it behind the left side cover. Thinking I'll leave the old R/R in place as a sort of heat shield for the battery and all. Bolts are probably seized up anyway.

If I get to it, I could draw out the template I used to make the mount plate and post it somewhere, maybe in Tanner's thread about the side cover mounting if that's acceptable.

Had an old aluminum/teflon skillet headed to the scrap so I cut the plate out of that.

Mounting there makes getting to the fuses a little more tricky, but I'll keep a 10mm in the toolkit anyway. Two bolts and it's off.
We are talking about the same rectifier. The best hookup is the 3 yellow stator wires go to the bottom 3 plugs of the rectifier. The top 2 plugs are wired directly to the battery + and -. You should not wire it thru the junction box if you did.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Talking Holy Kaw!

Holy Kaw!

Heard back from Jack at Roadstercycle already!

Quote:
No problem, send it back and I'll check it out and send you a new one. Looking forward to seeing what's up. This will be the second one failed in 2000.
Assuming he means 2013, but it doesn't matter, the service and speedy response is fantastic. Took 19 minutes on a Sunday at 10pm to get an answer! Dude has my vote, lol.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Holy Kaw!

Heard back from Jack at Roadstercycle already!

Assuming he means 2013, but it doesn't matter, the service and speedy response is fantastic. Took 19 minutes on a Sunday at 10pm to get an answer! Dude has my vote, lol.
Jack is a good guy to do business with.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors