Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

JB Test Unit

Looking for feedback on building a test unit for the JB. Something you can plug in and perform tests on the relays and such. Sort of a forum loaner tool...
Maybe something that looks like this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Garage
it shouldn't be hard to do.. I need to go look at the wiring diagram.
if I recall....the JB was not very detailed, but a few diodes and relays.

my personal opinion is that it can be tested easily with a multimeter and a 12 volt battery.....but for the person who has no idea how to use a multimeter, this would be a no-brainer type testing tool.

I have built many test boxes in the past, so I have a few basic suggestions.

1) the test box should be self contained and have a power source (battery) internal, or an easy way to tap power fron the bike to run the box.

2) LED or bulb indicators to show functionality of the relays would be a good visual indicator.

3) an inline "indicator" for your test box switches to show that the test box is not at fault (switches do fail)

4) load matching the the test box to simulate the properties of the components you are simulating.

5) "plug and play" directly to te JB with the same connectors that are on the wiring harness of the bike. This had better be a very reliable assembly since it will be flexing and constaltly being plugged/unplugged for testing. maybe it can be hard mounted to the side of the test box with wiring inside the assembly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Interesting idea. What you say is that you would plug it into the JB. Doing that would remove all the input voltages and outputs. so I'm guessing that you would have a way to simulate all that. I'm not sure exactly what your thinking as far as how the construction of your test set is. But it seams like a great idea.

Here is an idea you can toss around, this could test a lot more then just the JB. It would be able to test all the inputs and the outputs. Have your test set hooked up in series, on one side the JB plugs would plug in and the other side (like u have shown) would plug into the JB. Then the face of your test set would be test points that you could check with a meter. You would just tap into the wires between the two plugs. Radio shack would have these and probably in different colors. You would need the JB jacks from an old JB and of course the plugs.

I like the LED indicators KC mentioned.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 12-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
my personal opinion is that it can be tested easily with a multimeter and a 12 volt battery.....but for the person who has no idea how to use a multimeter, this would be a no-brainer type testing tool.

Yeah, that's the idea anyway. No brainer, plug and play...

I have built many test boxes in the past, so I have a few basic suggestions.

1) the test box should be self contained and have a power source (battery) internal, or an easy way to tap power fron the bike to run the box.
I'm leaning towards internal at this point...

2) LED or bulb indicators to show functionality of the relays would be a good visual indicator.
The right side of the box is where I have four lighted indicators for fan, power on, headlight, and starter...

3) an inline "indicator" for your test box switches to show that the test box is not at fault (switches do fail)
Good idea...

4) load matching the the test box to simulate the properties of the components you are simulating.
Yes, at some point I would need 'load' numbers from someone for the circuits

5) "plug and play" directly to te JB with the same connectors that are on the wiring harness of the bike. This had better be a very reliable assembly since it will be flexing and constaltly being plugged/unplugged for testing. maybe it can be hard mounted to the side of the test box with wiring inside the assembly.
I have high flex cable for this...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
Interesting idea. What you say is that you would plug it into the JB. Doing that would remove all the input voltages and outputs. so I'm guessing that you would have a way to simulate all that. I'm not sure exactly what your thinking as far as how the construction of your test set is. But it seams like a great idea.
Here is an idea you can toss around, this could test a lot more then just the JB. It would be able to test all the inputs and the outputs. Have your test set hooked up in series, on one side the JB plugs would plug in and the other side (like u have shown) would plug into the JB. Then the face of your test set would be test points that you could check with a meter. You would just tap into the wires between the two plugs. Radio shack would have these and probably in different colors. You would need the JB jacks from an old JB and of course the plugs.
Interesting idea....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Wonder if you could do the same thing for the IC.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here is a preliminary concept....still need a diode circuit...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement