Junction box/R&R project - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Junction box/R&R project

My first winter with a Vulcan is coming up and I was looking at doing the R&R replacement with a Mosfet regulator. I was looking at how it tied into the junction box and realized I might as well just deal with both in the same project. I found this thread:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/i...hp/t-9319.html

But it appears the project died? (Anyone have more info?).

I was thinking I could make a new PCB for a junction box with replaceable relays, maybe an additional circuit or two (headlight, ignition?), and connector to sub in a mosfet R&R. It would be basically plug and play. I'd mount it in a cast metal project box with a tapped lid to hold the R&R.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

ArkTinkerer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

Yeah, I rewired my entire bike and replaced the JB, ignition box, relays, and so in. I also modified several circuits to make them 'better.' Even added an RFID circuit to replace the ignition switch.
I'd be interested to see what you have in mind....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i did as Dariv Did.. and ended up scrapping the diodes as well. I also have a thread showing how I used the Ears as my electrical box. now I am working on a battery box/electricalbox/coolant overflow tank combo. I will post up my write up when it is done in the project forum.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of using a cast aluminum box, socketed automotive relays, higher capacity diodes, diodes for the relay coils, adding a delay to headlight relay so it cuts in a bit later after the power is stable, input for our voltage regulator/cable output to a mosfet regulator that could mount on the top of the box for more cooling, maybe adding one or two more relays if there is room--really want at least one more for the ignition system mod, sockets for mini-fuses, cable for plug in of battery tender.

I do electronics design for a living and should be able to spit out a custom PCB for this pretty quick. Main issues are figuring out what the current box and wiring does, what is lacking, and how to make the new stuff fit.

How important are headlight modulators to people? I was leaning toward getting an HID myself and I didn't think the two are compatible.

Also looks like someone else was planning on doing some sort of Junction box replacement. Wonder what they have in mind? Hate to waste time on a duplicate effort.

Arktinkerer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement