Starter Rebuild Kit - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Starter Rebuild Kit

I have a 01 Vulcan 750 and I believe my starter is messed up. I tried starting it up and it just made a clicking noise. Even hooked it up to a jump starter and it wouldn't start up. Figured it was the starter. I saw some rebuild kits on ebay, but I could only find up to a 2000. Will these work in a '01? Or do you think it's something else completely? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM

how old is battery and what type? wet cell or ?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
same starter for 1985-2006

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Jack of all trades

Have you looked at the starter solenoid? Just a thought....have you tried taking the starter apart and cleaning it? Might give you a better idea of whats going on.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

The cell is about 8 months old and is a 6 cell. I have not looked at the solenoid nor have I tried cleaning it. It just happened today and I'm pretty new to the whole bike maintenance thing so any advice would be great.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Giggity!

Garage
The rebuild kit is pretty good. I've done it once & it was I'd say a (5) on a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Place an insulated screwdriver between the terminals on the starter solenoid (touch them both with the screwdriver)... if the starter turns, it's likely that the solenoid is bad. If it doesn't, check the wires and try again, if it still won't work, you probably have to take off the starter.

Just remember that if you take out the starter, oil is gonna pour out of the engine.

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb0617 View Post
I have a 01 Vulcan 750 and I believe my starter is messed up. I tried starting it up and it just made a clicking noise. Even hooked it up to a jump starter and it wouldn't start up. Figured it was the starter. I saw some rebuild kits on ebay, but I could only find up to a 2000. Will these work in a '01? Or do you think it's something else completely? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by numb0617 View Post
The cell is about 8 months old and is a 6 cell. I have not looked at the solenoid nor have I tried cleaning it. It just happened today and I'm pretty new to the whole bike maintenance thing so any advice would be great.
Welcome to the Vulcan madness numb0617.
I have several points to make here. You say you are new to bike maintenance, so I will try to keep things simple and explain without too much jargon.

The first thing to do is to make sure the battery is fully charged. Use a multimeter to ensure a voltage reading at the battery terminals of 12.5 volts or greater. If you need to charge your motorcycle battery get a charger that has a setting that will charge at a maximum of 1.5 - 2 amps.
Using a higher amperage automotive charger will overheat the lead plates and warp them, ruining the battery.

The starter relay under the right side cover should click only once when the starter button is pushed.

With the 2 large wires disconnected from the relay, first from the battery and the second one going to the starter motor, there should be ZERO RESISTANCE across those two terminals on the relay when the start button is pushed and the RELAY CLICKS ONCE.

If the relay does not click, OR clicks more than once, OR gives a higher resistance reading than zero, it is faulty and must be replaced.

You will also use a multimeter to measure resistance in OHMS. The ohms symbol on the face of the mm looks like an inverted U with the ends curled back. Make sure the ignition key is on and all safety switches (sidestand, neutral, clutch, and engine run/stop) are on before pushing start button.

All 12 volt lead acid batteries have 6 cells.
A "wet" cell battery has 6 caps in the top to add distilled water to each cell as needed, to keep electrolyte level between the "full" and "add" lines on the case.

When replacing your battery next time get a Maintenance Free-Absorbed Glass Mat type (MF-AGM). These are also sometimes called "sealed" (not strictly true as they have a valve to vent excess pressure which explains why they are also sometimes refered to as VRLA meaning Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries.)

This Deka battery is a good quality MF-AGM battery at a good price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX15L-..._Parts&vxp=mtr

You can usually find batteries of similar quality and price locally.
Support local suppliers when ever possible if you want them to be there in the future when you need them.

Hope this helps. Ask again if needed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 11-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Gordon, if the relay clicks more than once it could also be a low battery or bad ground... not necessarily a bad relay.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM

And you can also check the starter ground on the engine. It can cause problems if it isn't grounded properly. Also check all of your wires both positive and negative from the battery. Most importantly check all of your negative cable connections both at the frame and engine and make sure they are tight and clean.
If you jump your bike from a car make sure the car is NOT running.
All starters from 85 to 06 will work. Like Ceal stated, if you pull the starter, oil will pour out of the engine, you can drain it first so it don't make a big mess. You can also take it to a local auto parts store, and they can check it for you. Would be just like checking a starter for a Ford. I'm not sure what the amps would be for it, but I would imagine the readings won't be too high on it. And you can spin the output shaft on the starter to see if it's frozen or hard to turn.
There is a wealth of information on here and a lot of members who can help you so if you have any more issues, please feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement