Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Shindigen FH020AA

I have a problem with my new MOSFET. I have ran a ground wire and power wire in parallel with the existing harness wires, but directly to the battery, and used the stator wires from the existing harness. The R/R was put in the factory location, but does not appear to run over about 120-130F. The bullet connectors were removed from the stator and the wires were soldered.

I ran through Slim's spreadsheet twice with stator hot and cold- may do that again.

I am either losing a leg of the TPE rewind when hot, or there is a problem with the MOSFET. Another possibility is that something is going on with the stator wires in the factory harness, but I have tested the stator through the R/R harness and wiring appears to be fine. I will clip off the parallel factory +/- wires and see if that makes any difference- probably not.

Does anyone know where I can get troubleshooting info for the MOSFET?

Any ideas on how I could use a DVM with a current clamp on the stator legs? Current output of the legs may be confounded by a MOSFET problem. If the output on all three legs is the same, does that mean the MOSFET is bad?

Has anyone else put a MOSFET in the factory location? I ride 2-up sometimes and didn't like the idea of wifey's boots catching the wiring. Perhaps it's just getting too hot? Relocating is not an option right now.

Last edited by Kelly2001; 10-19-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM

I had to do the same thing, installed a TPE rewound stator and a MOSFET R/R. I installed my MOSFET in the original place so far I haven't had any problem, it's been over a year.
I did not use the original battery wires at the R/R I capped them and taped them up in the harness along with the brown wire? Of course i left the original battery wires attatched at the battery. I taped into the original stator wiring because one of the stator wires is spliced with a wire going to the JB for the headlight relay.

I'm assuming the voltage at the battery is not correct when the bike is running, u didn't mention what it was. If its not, one thing you could do is make sure your batts charged up disconnect the stator wires from the bike wiring and with the bike running test the stator that way. What was the readings you were getting when u tested the first time?

Last edited by ifixf18s; 10-19-2012 at 05:35 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Mine was replaced in the stock location by the PO...but I then again, I degoated. So far, so good, many miles later. Its the belly that kills the R/R.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Garage
I didn't think yours was a MOSFET Wolfie.

I am not sure if it has to do with impedence matching to the MOSFET or some other reason, but it seems that the preferred method is to tie directly to the battery and bypass the harness.

fom what I have read here and elsewhere...others who have used the stock harness have also had issues....but I am not able to explain it or grasp the reasoning for the problems.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
I didn't think yours was a MOSFET Wolfie.

I am not sure if it has to do with impedence matching to the MOSFET or some other reason, but it seems that the preferred method is to tie directly to the battery and bypass the harness.

fom what I have read here and elsewhere...others who have used the stock harness have also had issues....but I am not able to explain it or grasp the reasoning for the problems.
I am wondering if the stock harness uses the wrong gauge wire along with improper routing of the positive wire.. instead of going directly to the battery, it routes through the JB... which it shouldn't do.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't think yours was a MOSFET Wolfie
...mine is a Shindigen...says right on it...forget the number.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Garage
I'm confuzzed here. Few questions. Is the headlight coming on when the bike is started? Runs off a leg of the stator. Are you testing the voltage at the battery at 3000+ rpm cold and hot? Should read about 14.2 volt. At idle all you read is battery volts(12.5). If there is a problem you may even pull the small side cover at the stator and check to make sure the wiring didn't get into the rotating drum.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 PM

With the MOSFET at idle you will get more then battery voltage, chuck is correct about the head light, and the 12.5 VDC at idle if you had a OEM R/R.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here is the Mosfet FH020AA diagnostic check from Roadstercycles: I quote: Multimeter on diode check.
Positive multimeter lead to positive mosfet pin, negative multimeter to each stator pin 1 at a time, should get all zeros.
Negative multimeter lead to positive mosfet pin, positive multimeter to each stator pins 1 at a time should get all close to the same, about 100, I've seen 70 to 140 depending on ambient weather (still all good).
Now, Positive multimeter lead to negative mosfet pin, negative lead to each stator lead 1 at a time should get 435 ish all close to the same (again varies by ambient temp).
Negative multimeter to negative mosfet pin, positive multimeter to each stator pin 1 at a time, should get zeros.
If you get a zero where you should not or a number where you should not, then you possibly have a bad mosfet, odds are not good of that." End quote

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Here is the Mosfet FH020AA diagnostic check from Roadstercycles: I quote: Multimeter on diode

~... yadda, yadda, ~

odds are not good of that." End quote
Finally, (not a hijack here) I've been trying to locate the testing for a mosfet!
Awesome on the post!

I'm linking this one!

Last edited by kanuck69; 10-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement