Shindigen FH020AA - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

The latest.... On the way home after 20 minutes on the freeway, "blinky" turned orange at 5,000 RPM. I have the Roadstercycle indicator. In my setup, this equates to about 13.2V output at the R/R. Then I assume the fan came on, battery voltage dropped to about 12.6V-- all of this at 5,000 RPM. In the two miles off of the freeway, I never got over 12.6V. I grabbed the multimeter and checked things out-

Stator all good- 1.0 ohms, 35V at 1500 RPM, no leg-leg shorts or leg to ground shorts.
I have not relocated the R/R and it was HOT, about 150 degrees F or so.
I thought there was a problem with the R/R checks (doing it by memory), but in the time it took to print out the checklist and re-check, everything was fine. R/R was cooling off by now. I plugged everything back in and started it up. Was getting 13.2 at idle. Fan came on while the R/R was still relatively cool, was getting 12.9V at idle, which dropped in a linear fashion over time (as the R/R heated up.)

It looks like perhaps the MOSFET does not like the stock location because it is too hot (duh.) I did not expect that 150F would affect it, perhaps it does. It is also possible that the R/R is generating its own excessive heat in some kind of failure mode I haven't been able to spot yet. In any event, my issue seems to be with the MOSFET, the mounting location, or both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
try moving the R/R first.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Shindigen FH020AA is bad. Just figured it out. It totally failed on the way home from work. The R/R tested fine on the bike, which has been going on since October. The TPE stator tested fine as well. I pulled the R/R off and gently warmed the whole unit to 90 degrees F- diode checks all failed except negative DVM lead to stator pins. 5 minutes later after it cooled off a little, everything passed again. I'll let you know what Roadstercycle says- it is still under warranty. I should have stuck with the tractor R/R I had on there before; so much for upgrades.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Put the tractor R/R back in and yank the goats belly ???

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I thought about it. I relocated the R/R last week just before it started to totally fail. I don't want to mess with my wiring, but fortunately I live near Roadstercycle. Jack is going to check it out tonight using a heat gun to warm it up, and on his custom bike if it isn't raining.

I think we can remove the sticky now. I'll post the final results in a few days.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Just wanted to follow up. I had overheated the R/R when doing my test. Jack checked it out, and it was OK. I pulled the stator and found that it was not centered and the core and one of the coils was making intermittent contact with the rotor. I drilled and tapped three additional locating holes after centering the stator using duct tape. I would recommend extra fasteners besides the three cover pass-through a to keep the stator perfectly centered. The cover bolts have a reduced diameter shoulder, coupled with any locating errors of the faster clearance holes could cause the core to rub the magnets.

Got it all buttoned up and working fine now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement