2000 vulcan 750 electrical problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 2000 vulcan 750 electrical problem

hi i need some help. i just bought a 2000 vulcan 750 last month with 38000 miles on it. i commute alot i have already put 2000 miles on it in less than month of riding. a few days ago while riding it died on me. i was riding at about 60 and i felt the engine lose power i went from 5000 rpm to 4000 rpm then about a minuet later it completely died. lights stayed on just the engine power. i tried restarting it but it wouldnt start at all no even the starter would turn over. i took it off and noticed the starter solenoid was clicking and vibrating when i tried to start it and the rpm gauge would go to 8000 when starting, its never done that before. i just got a new starter solenoid and installed it. it still wont start the starter did turn a couple of times and now it wont start again same thing as before. the power wire coming off of the solenoid is extremely hot and smoke came from the solenoid. this is the new one which has a fuse in it to prevent it from blowing. does anyone have any ideas what this could be. as far as i can tell everything is as it should be and all other systems are working correctly. any ideas or should i take it straight to a mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation update on bikes condition

ok so i rebuilt the ignition switch it was dirty but seemed to be intact. i cleaned it and put it back together no burnt conections or anything. i rebuilt the kill switch also it was dirty but no bad conections. i took a voltometer and went through the electrical system. all seems to be within the limits except at the starter i was not getting any power to it even when trying to start it. i manualy applied a 12volt source to the starter and it would not turn at all. it did turn though when i applied a 12 volt source to the starter solenoid. at this point i am pretty much out of ideas. the diagram provided was very helpful and so was another diagram i found regarding the charging system. as far as i can tell there is a problem with the wiring somewhere and i cant figure it out. if anyone has any further ideas i am all ears but if not im going to have to take it to a mechanic next week.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
so let me get this streight... if you hook up a juper cable from the battery positive terminal to the lug on the starter motor and from the Negative battery terminal to the starter housing, the starter motor doesn't turn over. But if you jump the main starter solenoid terminals, then the starter motor engages?? weird...

Next question... where did you apply 12vdc to the solenoid at? between the two main posts, or to the white/red terminal?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation update on bikes condition

so i took it into the mechanic. the motor is down. part of my gear assembly broke in the lower and jammed up the engine. long story short motor is done it will cost me more to have it rebuilt then to buy a new one. anyone know where i can get a new motor?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Garage
Um, that sounds kinda weird. Did they give you any better explanation than that. Did they actually pull the motor? What area are you from?

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement