Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Solar Trickle Charger

Hi everyone,
I am having some charging system issues that I wrote about in the newbie forum and since have been doing some research. I put an MF battery in as soon as I got the bike (pruchased from Advance Auto Parts) and it worked for about a month and then died, so I took it back and got a free replacement under warranty. Now a week and 50 miles later it is also dead. The guy I bought the bike from had been using the other batteries and putting it on a trickle charger at night. He still had to replace the batteries every 6 months. Having just purchased the bike, I do not want to spend insane amounts of money replacing a stator or r/r, so my question is could a solar trickle charger (at about $100) be the solution to my problems, at least temporarily? I store the bike in the garage at night, but during the day when I ride it to work, I keep it out in direct sunlight. I would much rather have something that will charge it automatically than charge the battery myself every night when I get done riding it. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
sounds like your battery is not charging. if one component failing it will eventually take the other out. maybe all you need is R/R but if you continue riding like this you will need a new stator for sure. here you will find how to test your system Electrical verses

it's up to you obviously but puting a trickle charger of any kind even though it may work not going to treat the main problem. i would not be comfortable riding knowing that it might not start when i'm on the road.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:44 PM

You are putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. Have it checked.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Once Banned

On second thought (or second look), it's probably just the opposite, that the r/r is either not working or the stator is not putting out enough. If you're gonna spend 100 bucks for a trickle charger, go ahead and get two. That, combined with a few new batteries, time taken from work, towing expenses, and whatever else has gotta be cheaper than the expense of a new r/r or stator, right?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Cegodsey, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine? Erica, read Global_Recon's response in the Newbie forum. Don't take too much Cegodsey says to heart, he is truly a troublemaker! Okay, so he's smart and sometimes funny, but get the bike tested or test it yourself, then worry about Mr. Sunshine.

My Blog:

http://kaitbr.blogspot.com

VROC #21146

Mods and other stuff:
nat'l cycle deflector shield
final drive splines lubed 8/06
replaced broken speedometer cable (5194 miles) 9/06

Vehicles:
95 S-10 Blazer 187K miles (Black and Silver)
01 Kawasaki VN750 3300+ my miles, 5300+ total miles (Black and Silver)
04 John Deere L118SE Riding Mower w/ snow plow (John Deere green and yellow)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Wow...some folks are a little snarky on here and I thought I got PMS bad. Anyhoo, the bike is in the shop although it did fire right up when it was taken off the trailer. Better safe than sorry in my opinion, although I am sure there were far better ways to say that when I asked a genuine question about my first bike that I have had for a month. While I can appreciate your vast knowledge that I lack (hence asking for help), I would not presume to call you a so don't treat me like one.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
to be honest you really only need a trickle charger if its sitting without riding. if it sits more then a week or 2 then i would hook it up. otherwise i'd find it a waste of money.
on a side note Cegodsey has PMS?!?! HA HA HA!!!!!!!! m00c0w13-1:Cegodsey-0

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Once Banned

Oops! Now how did I do that? I posted my apologies in Erica's other thread soon after the two here. Here it is, so that I don't look completely heartless:

Quote:
Yeah, welcome. Sorry I sound a bit bitchy. I haven't eaten yet today.

If it was exposed to salt air, then there is a high chance that the connectors are corroded. You really need to take your side covers and seat off, and check the connector going into the r/r, as well as the ground wire from the battery to the frame and everything else. Although not likely, but still probable, is that the issues with the starting system are being caused by corrosion.
I am really, really sorry for my response. Totally uncalled for.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 PM

Don't worry Erica! We'll rope him in when he hasn't had his medicine.

Best trickle charger you can get for a bike is a battery tender. They sell em at Walmart and mine is a Bell I think, cost me about $20. A tender doesn't always charge, it charges until it senses the battery is full, then it just keeps it maintained and full, but doesn't overcharge, damaging the battery.

As far as charging on the bike when running, that's the regulator's job. Going through batteries like that is insane. Sure feels to me like the regulator is bad but until you or someone tests it we have nothing to go on. I know this, a couple batteries and you've paid for a regulator. Hopefully you'll know soon!

Hang in there!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Search Goddess

I could give Ernie a time out...

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain Erica..

One thing that has not been asked before all the doomsayer jumped in is..
How often and how far do you ride your bike? what caught my eye was 50 miles in a week..

To get a charge going to the battery you need usually a good 25 minute run with rpms at 3000 rpms or more.

What has happened all too often with commute bikes is they are driven in stop and go traffic for short distances and the battery never gets charged.

You can get a charger at Walmart for about $15-20. Check and make sure you get the one with the plug in attachment for the battery so you don't have to take the seat off everytime.
Hook this up to the battery every night (if you are doing the slow commute) and you should be good to go. Then make sure you get out and ride some.. Take the long uncluttered way home

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement