Headlight Wiring Mod Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Wiring Mod Question

Hello all!

I've had some headlight issues- but don't roll your eyes just yet! Yes, I know what the possible culprits are, and I'm aware of the "Correct" fixes (fuses, relays, JB, etc.).

My two-part question:
1.) "Is there a safe -alternative- source of power on the bike that I could hard-wire the headlight to on the hot side?"
2.) I see that the headlight currently has three wires;
BLACK
RED w/ YELLOW
RED w/ BLACK
Obviously the black is ground, but which is the constant hot, and which is the alternating current?

I know it's not the norm, and furthermore that it wasn't designed for this, but the same can be said for a lot of the things we do. My reasoning is that I want to implement a sleek little switch I found so that I can control the headlight myself, and also that an entirely different headlamp/bulb may be implemented eventually.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I don't have a wiring diagram handy but I'm pretty sure one of those is your low beam & one is the high.

All the wiring diagrams are in the repair manual in my sig. It can be a very handy tool!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Which makes me wonder what the wiring diagram looks like for the "High/Low Beam" switch. Do I leave the wiring at the headlamp the same and simply modify the wiring going to the switch? Or do I need a different power source for each side of the headlight switch, while maintaining the original ground? And does this also mean that my custom switch will need to be wired between the power source(s) and the "High/Low" switch?

I could see it working either way, but I suppose I'm looking for the simpler route. Any ideas?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you need one power source to the headlight switch on the handlebars, then the switch transfers the voltage to the low beam or high beam as needed. The easiest method of getting power back to the headlight is to move the blue wire from pin 8 on the 8 pin connector to the unused slot in the 10 pin connector on the junction box.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

So then, judging by what you're telling me, I should be able to wire it up like this:

Power Source ----> Custom "On/Off" Switch -----> "High/Low" Handlebar Switch

And as long as I move the 8 pin to the unused slot, power should flow correctly again?

And just so I know, what WOULD be the best power source if I wanted to temporarily connect the headlight directly to something?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Uhhh... the battery! lol Sorry couldn't resist.

There are also two empty leads in the headlight bucket. There are hot leads & are always live. One pos & one neg.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I honestly thought that the battery could possibly be too much power and somehow overload the headlight when wired directly to it. Incorrect?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Garage
12Volts from either the battery or the wiring harness is till 12Volts unless the harness is deteriorated and causing a voltage drop or resistance.

The thing you need to worry about is the current flow it requires to run the lamp.....more current will require a thicker wire to prevent heating and melting of the wire.

I need to ask....what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?? are you replacing the headlight? why do you want to replace the switch with a custom switch?

If you give us a better description of what you are doing, maybe we can help you resolve whatever issue you are having. maybe a photo or two might help us understand what is going on so we can assist.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 03:04 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Hijack away Flaco!

You're trying to accomplish the same thing I am, so no worries...

I just thought it was a valid question because I realize that there are probably several things to consider that I haven't already thought of. Simply stated, much like Flaco, I just want to toggle the headlight on and off. Theres really no other issue that I'm trying to solve. It's as simple as that really... Any suggestions would be great.

The only justification I have is that I feel there are too many things that can fail or go wrong between the power source and the headlight. So ultimately I'd like to wire up a dedicated line from a power source to the headlight, and maintaining the "high/low" switch would be even better.

Wiring diagram anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement