Frustrated - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Frustrated

Tested charging system, good. Insured charged battery, 12.5v. Starts fine. After a few miles, if stop, bike won't start. Just clicks at solenoid. Test with multimeter, 12.3v. Jumper cables a few minutes, starts. no loose connections. Ground connections clean and tight. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Prowling Tiger

Sounds like the r/r is getting too hot. Look at the relocation instructions to move it away from the exhaust.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 AM

R/R getting hot won't keep the bike from starting. Sounds like it might be your starter getting hot. On a lot of older chevys, the starter would get hot, and not work, it was called heat soak. After the starter would cool down, it would work till it got hot again.
If you can carry your tester with you, and after you shut it off again, have someone try and start it and test the voltage at the starter to see how many volts you are getting there. The starter needs a good ground to the engine block, so check it and clean behind it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Are you sure your battery is good? Just because it says 12._ volts don't mean it's good. I think you can get it tested at an auto parts store.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Had the battery tested at Advance Auto Parts. "Hot Starter",huh? Hmmm. Could I pull it and have it tested at auto parts store?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

try this when the bike fails to start dont put jumper cables on it simply cool the starter using something like a cool damp cloth or even pouring some cold water on it just let the thing cool for a bit then try and start it if it fires right up then that my friend is a bad starter it could also be the starter solenoid getting too hot as well you can check to see if its the solenoid by just touching it and see if it burns you if it does replace it

i have a starter i could part with for a decent rate and if its the solenoid you can get a four post solenoid at orielys for a riding lawn mower and wire it in itrs a bit bigger but it works just as good and you wont know it is not the original unless you take the side cover off they sale here in texas for 10.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
Are you sure your battery is good? Just because it says 12._ volts don't mean it's good. I think you can get it tested at an auto parts store.
^there it is. If it starts with a jump..More than likely..it's your battery. Guessing it's not an AGM battery?
How many volts you getting with it running at 3-4,000 rpms? You should be getting at least 13.4 volts.

Test your stator output when the bike is hot BTW.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

At 4000 rpms it tested at 13.8 .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
13.8 @ 4,000 rpm is a tad low.. 4,000 to 5,000 RPM should be 14.5V.. 13 volt range should be seen around 2500 rpm. (unless you are running a MOSFET R/R, which then it should be 14.5V-15.0V through all rpm ranges from idle all the way to 6,000 rpm.)

You need to look into your charging system. and again, look at the grounds... Your R/R Connector could be the cause of your voltage drop, and the cause of your hard starts as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement