Headlight issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Captive New Yorker....
 
peterherrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Marlboro, NY
Posts: 264
iTrader: (1)
 
Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
Headlight issue

Hello all,

I noticed on my way to work yesterday that my headlight was out. What happens, is the headlight comes on normally when you first start the bike. Both high beam and low beam work fine, but after riding for about a minute, the headlight goes out, and does not come back on at all.

If I stop the bike and turn the engine off, and let it sit for a bit, then start the bike up, the headlight is back on again, only to go off again after riding for about a minute, and it never comes on again. All other lights seems to be functioning normally.

Any ideas where I should start to trouble shoot this? Bad headlight relay in the fuse box? How would I test for this?

Not sure if it is related, but I am also having an issue with the right blinker, its will blink very fast intermittently while riding. It never does it while the bike is parked. Might be related??

Thanks!!!



Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
peterherrm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
..have a vulcan good day!
 
WilliamTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL.
Posts: 4,508
iTrader: (17)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterherrm View Post
Hello all,

I noticed on my way to work yesterday that my headlight was out. What happens, is the headlight comes on normally when you first start the bike. Both high beam and low beam work fine, but after riding for about a minute, the headlight goes out, and does not come back on at all.

If I stop the bike and turn the engine off, and let it sit for a bit, then start the bike up, the headlight is back on again, only to go off again after riding for about a minute, and it never comes on again. All other lights seems to be functioning normally.

Any ideas where I should start to trouble shoot this? Bad headlight relay in the fuse box? How would I test for this?

Not sure if it is related, but I am also having an issue with the right blinker, its will blink very fast intermittently while riding. It never does it while the bike is parked. Might be related??

Thanks!!!
Yes, as KC suggests, a thermal issue, start by cleaning the JB connectors, BUT most importantly clean ALL battery grounds . If no success... clean the Dimmer Switch contacts. Last resort, replace JB.
Blinker problem, definitely would look for a short in the appropriate connector. CLEAN ALL CONNECTOR CONTACTS.

hope this helps
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 09-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.
WilliamTech is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
fast blinker suggests you are losing a bulb connection on that side.

As far as the headlight....if it were me, I would start with making sure the stator wire going to the junction box is showing ac on it. check the bullet connectors if they are still in place. YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOUR STATOR IS GOOD!

It sounds to me like a thermal issue causing either the stator or a connection to fail.

If you still see AC on the 3 stator wires when the headlight goes out, then you can start checking connections from the JB to the light....including relays and switch connections.
kc2dgq is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Captive New Yorker....
 
peterherrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Marlboro, NY
Posts: 264
iTrader: (1)
 
Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
Well I checked the stator output, that's fine. All 3 connections are also tight. The blinker problem was a loose wire.

I tested the bike again, and temp doesn't seem to effect it. I left the bike running for a long time, until it was very hot, and the headlight stayed on the whole time. Then I took the bike around the block, got it up to about 40 MPH, and the headlight stayed on the entire time.

Then I went out on the main road where I could open her up more, and once I accelerated fast the headlight went out. It then came on briefly, then went out again and never came back on.

I'm think what I should try next, is bypassing the headlight relay as described in a past post? I really don't want to replace the whole junction box....

Is the Head Lamp indicator light supposed to be lit the entire time the headlight is on? It was never on when I had my old instrument cluster, then I got a new cluster, and it also has never been lit. I assumed that both units had the bulbs burned out, but now I'm wonder if this is suppose to light up to worn you that the head lamp is out? If so, this light does not come on when my head lamp is out.



Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
peterherrm is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Quote:
Is the Head Lamp indicator light supposed to be lit the entire time the headlight is on? It was never on when I had my old instrument cluster, then I got a new cluster, and it also has never been lit. I assumed that both units had the bulbs burned out, but now I'm wonder if this is suppose to light up to worn you that the head lamp is out? If so, this light does not come on when my head lamp is out.
__________________
the light is always supposed to be lit... light illumination means the headlight system is ok.. bright illumination means that either hi or low beam is burned out... depending on what position the dimmer switch is in.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
JM2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (1)
 
The headlight indicator bulb only comes on when either the low or high beam goes out.. The headlight reserve device automatically switches to the remaining good filament. You may just have a bad bulb.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
JM2001 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 AM
romeobravo172
 
romeobravo172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Leesburg,Fl
Posts: 842
iTrader: (18)
 
Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I agree, the white box only comes on to say a prob with the headlight! Just went down to garage and did a positive ck. Have had 2 750's and have never seen that light on the cluster come on. But also have not had a bulb failure either!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
romeobravo172 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
The headlight indicator bulb only comes on when either the low or high beam goes out.. The headlight reserve device automatically switches to the remaining good filament. You may just have a bad bulb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
I agree, the white box only comes on to say a prob with the headlight! Just went down to garage and did a positive ck. Have had 2 750's and have never seen that light on the cluster come on. But also have not had a bulb failure either!
this shows that the light wile be lit dimly when both Hi and Low are working normal, Bright when either Low or Hi filaments are burnt out. If the light doesn't go on at all, then the headlight Relay inside the JB is either not working, or its not getting triggered by the Stator.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,679
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
It's true. The white light is usually on, just dim. It only shines bright when somethIngs wrong.

Just a shot in the dark here.... But it might just be a loose connection or a wire shorting in the headlight bucket. As mentioned.. Check all the connections.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
I agree with Slim and Knife....it is lit, but so dimly lit that you won't even realize it is on unless you are in pitch black.

It could be a loose wire in the bucket, but it could also be a bad bulb.
Does it do this on both hi and low beam??
kc2dgq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
headlight

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome