Starter wouldn't stop? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Starter wouldn't stop?

history: 1993 Vulcan 750, developed chain slap, ordered a TOC MCCT.

Ok, so I got my TOC MCCT in today, and I was incredibly excited to put it on. My bike's been sitting for a month and a half while I waited to buy the TOC. I slap that bad boy on and try to turn the bike over, I knew I'd have some trouble because I haven't turned it over in a month and a half and it wasn't the easiest thing to turn over before that wait.

So, after a few backfires, I try again to turn the bike over. You know the sound the bike does while waiting to turn over? That wah-chick-wah-chick-wah noise? Well after I let go of the starter, it continued to do that, as if I was just holding down the electric start button. I tried pressing the button again, but no change. I turned the key off from the ignition and IT WAS STILL GOING. I tried turning the ignition off and on, no effect.

Pretty soon the starting noise is starting to go slower and slower, and I know that my brand new (as of a month and a half ago) battery is fading fast. So I finally grab the screwdriver and pull the negative cable off of the battery. Found myself staring at a black widow under the bike while I was searching for the screw for the battery that fell under the bike and decided to wait until morning to find the screw.

Any ideas on what happened? It did freak me out a bit.

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
1980 KZ750 LTD (Project) "Saki"
2007 Honda Rebel (Sold) "Lucky"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
It sounds as if the starter solenoid or start button contacts got stuck.. take the handlebar switch apart and check the contacts there first, if no problem there, check continuity between both of the big lugs on the starter solenoid.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 AM

Sounds like the starter solenoid. I have had several fords over the years that has happened to. The contacts inside will weld together causing power to keep going to the starter. Try tapping on the side of the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver. I would do that with my Maverick when the solenoid would stick.
Worked every time for me.
I have an extra solenoid if yours is bad.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Alright. I'll take the starter apart tomorrow after church. we'll see how it looks. thanks guys! you eased my nervousness quite a bit.

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by son-of-fire View Post
Alright. I'll take the starter apart tomorrow after church. we'll see how it looks. thanks guys! you eased my nervousness quite a bit.
vn750 starter solenoid is mounted to the right of the battery, on the outside of the frame. Your Positive battery cable is connected to it.

hope this helps
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-of-fire View Post
Don't pull the starter... your problem isn't the starter, its the solenoid located on the side of the battery box. and is a lot easier to mess with than the starter. Since the starter works, (the kazanga-pow-kazanga-pow), I wouldn't pull it. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and check both of your main grounds. You have a ground going from negative battery to frame, and another one going from the right hand side of the battery box to the Engine. I have had my solenoid stick because of a week battery combined with a bad engine to battery box ground. It took me about a year to find the problem because it would go away on a fully charged battery.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Don't pull the starter... your problem isn't the starter, its the solenoid located on the side of the battery box. and is a lot easier to mess with than the starter. Since the starter works, (the kazanga-pow-kazanga-pow), I wouldn't pull it. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and check both of your main grounds. You have a ground going from negative battery to frame, and another one going from the right hand side of the battery box to the Engine. I have had my solenoid stick because of a week battery combined with a bad engine to battery box ground. It took me about a year to find the problem because it would go away on a fully charged battery.
that was my 1st thought

WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

OK I'm double checking it now. Although I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. The battery is pretty new, and is my second replacement. The battery place tested it under load before they gave it to me. I cleaned all of the contacts last time when we were testing my old-new battery. I'm not sure what to check on the solenoid. I read somewhere that you should lightly tap it?

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, tapping the solenoid fixed the issue of the starter not stopping, but I think my battery took too much of a toll for me to start the bike. It'll try to start but won't do anything but backfire, then occasionally it'll sound like it has a hard time attempting to start or it'll do a clicking noise. That was happening last time when we determined the battery was bad. I'm ordering a battery tender today, hopefully I'll see it by tuesday.

1993 Vulcan 750 "Sookie"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds like possibly two issues, but one for sure... for sure issue.. your battery box to engine ground wire is loose, corroded, broken, or something. make sure the connection is clean and tight on both the battery box and the engine.
Second issue might be a week charging system. If you have gone through two batteries in a short amount of time the bike isn't charging correctly. Which can be caused by one of three things. 1)Bad Grounds. 2)week or bad stator, or 3)a bad Regulator/Rectifier.
But since tapping the Solenoid fixed the starter, then for sure you have a bad Battery Box to Engine Ground. The ground wire I am referring to is located just above the starter solenoid, and runs to the engine case right behind the coolant overflow bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement