So this backfiring while starting thing... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

So this backfiring while starting thing...

I noticed just recently my bike will backfire LOUDLY, like gunshot loud. I keep seeing older archive posts about a maintenance free AGM battery fixing this problem. Makes sense though. I have only had the bike since May 2012. The first 440 miles I put on it I didn't have this problem. For the last 90 miles, first every now and then it back fired, put in some fuel cleaner and it went away. Now it back fires every time pretty much. Since the guy who sold it to me said he had the carbs rebuilt, the plugs and wires changed.... it has to be the Walmart looking battery. Seems like the fuel air mixture is perfect the rest of the time so this is what I will invest in first.... eventually. Any other thoughts?

1990 VN750
Pretty much bone stock, un-moded
as far as I know.
34,040 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Does it backfire on starting or on de-cell? On start up very well could be a weak batt(does not matter wheather or not it is a wet type or gell). Backfiring or popping on decell seems to be fairly comm on these bikes poss to rich!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Its smooth on decell,

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Then sounds like a weak batt.Test it with a volt meter, should show about 12.3 up, and better yet charge it up and take it to like an auto store and have it load tested. Can show find on volt meter but can still have internal probs!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness E...L.
Bought my `91 four years ago with about 12K miles and a regular wet cell battery in it.
It was a bit hard starting at times and did backfire pretty regularly when starting.

I have a MF-AGM battery now and the bike starts much better, usually on the first push of the starter button. But not always. A couple of times in the past month it backfired when trying to start at 4:30 AM while getting ready to ride to work. Neighbors have not said anything, but the report was about the same as my 30-06.

IIRC the voltage may have been just a bit low when it backfired. Maybe just under 12V. I don`t think I have had to put the charger on the battery since I started riding on May 11. If I did, it was just one time after a backfire event.

I have not uncapped my fuel/air mixture screws yet, so they are untouched.

I suspect a new MF-AGM battery will cure most of your backfiring problems as well.
Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I say a combination of week battery and bad battery box to engine ground connections.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I say a combination of week battery and bad battery box to engine ground connections.
Going to back-up SVR as usual.

Also, really old plugs combined with the aforementioned can also be problematic.

New AGM or better battery, tight and clean electrical connections, and new Iridium plugs would do you wonders.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

It has new plugs, not sure what kind. Pretty much the only thing that is has seen more than one or two seasons is the battery. I'm an automotive technician for Toyota and this whole electronic ignition thing is a little crazy to me being that on start up a weak battery can cause all that. Normally I see a weak car battery and the only symptom is a slow start or no start. Next time I ride it to work, I will see if our battery testers can check it. If not I use my voltmeter. Gotta fix the wires for the front brake light anyway.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
a bad ground or week battery can cause lots of crazyness
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectationLESS View Post
It has new plugs, not sure what kind. Pretty much the only thing that is has seen more than one or two seasons is the battery. I'm an automotive technician for Toyota and this whole electronic ignition thing is a little crazy to me being that on start up a weak battery can cause all that. Normally I see a weak car battery and the only symptom is a slow start or no start. Next time I ride it to work, I will see if our battery testers can check it. If not I use my voltmeter. Gotta fix the wires for the front brake light anyway.
The stock electrical system is really more reliant on the battery that a car would be, as anything at or around idle needs the battery to run at all. It can be much more finicky to things like loose grounds, bad batteries, etc. I am sure you'll get it sorted out

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat