mod to stator mod............ - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

Lightbulb mod to stator mod............

Just an idea I had.
Any one who has done this mod has noticed that the factory gasket is no longer thick enough. Some of you may have noticed that the stator sits out a bit further. I may have a solution to this and I need a little feed back before I try.

If you were to make the outer three holes on the mod plate just big enough for them to slip over the lip of the bolt holes for the side cover would that not move the stator in closer to original depth and at the same time allow the factory gasket to work? It may even nullify the need to grind down the ribs for the pick up wires to clear.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I racked by brain as I was doing the mod. I remember about the only thing you could do is mill down the piece you cut out of the case and use a thinner plate. I didn't have a mill, and was worried about the strength of the plate and having enough fastener engagement, so I just used Permatex Right Stuff. I got everything super clean and used a 1/4" bead- no leaks whatsoever after about 1,000 miles.

You might be able to mill off a little of the cover, too. I was able to run my pickup wires underneath the sheet metal mounting plate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
Just an idea I had.
Any one who has done this mod has noticed that the factory gasket is no longer thick enough. Some of you may have noticed that the stator sits out a bit further. I may have a solution to this and I need a little feed back before I try.

If you were to make the outer three holes on the mod plate just big enough for them to slip over the lip of the bolt holes for the side cover would that not move the stator in closer to original depth and at the same time allow the factory gasket to work? It may even nullify the need to grind down the ribs for the pick up wires to clear.

What do you guys think?
We all just use gasket maker. The Right Stuff by Permatex is super easy to apply, cleans up easy, looks good, and is usable in like 1 minute.

It would be nice not to have to deal with scraping it off when you pop the cover, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

yea i'm using right stuff for my whole big so i dont have to worry about it leaking anything that isnt out the tail pipes

i was also thinking that making the wholes bigger would alow the plate to hang on the lips and make installation of the cover easier

i am working out the details with gcextreame we are gonna make one and install on my bike to see how it goes
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

quote: It would be nice not to have to deal with scraping it off when you pop the cover, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

how many times have you had to take the cover off?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

when i did my pickup coil mod i threw out the factory seal all together then i sprayed a light coat of white lithium grease in the groove before applying the right stuff then mounted the cover so when i took it off this time the sealant didnt stick in the groove at all it stuck beautifully to the casing and came off in one solid peace now i have a permanent gasket
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Garage

I ground down the casting of the 3 bolt holes where the plate and outer cover bolts to. Cover worked with only the gasket. Bought two longer bolts, cut the heads off, and used them for line-up bolts. Holds the stator in place while you put the cover on. Take them out as you put the panheads in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

yup that would work too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement