Stator replacement TPE vs Ricks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Stator replacement TPE vs Ricks

I wanted to ask and see who has used the ricks motorsports stator and if the horror stories are true. It seems TPE is a little backed up but if the ricks stuff burns out then wait I will.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Garage
I put in a Ricks stator and it lasted 400 miles before the lead wires burnt off at the stator windings. CHEAP CHINESE WIRING. China rebuilds all his stators now. Never have got the replacement or my money back, 16 months ago 16 emails now, and I bought from their web page, with the 1 year warranty. PTE is a lot cheaper route, money wise about half the price, and thats the lonely way I'll ever go again. His craftsmanship is the bomb! Comes with a 1 year warranty also. 8000 miles and still charging great.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 07-26-2012 at 01:52 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that, a bad stator is a nightmare by itself let alone that having that situation from the replacement. Thank you for saving me the extra trouble and for the advice on TPE. Have a good one.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones750 View Post
Sorry to hear that, a bad stator is a nightmare by itself let alone that having that situation from the replacement. Thank you for saving me the extra trouble and for the advice on TPE. Have a good one.
If you are doing the Tuxedo mod and you really don't want to be down for three weeks with TPE (it takes a while to ship each way, too) then just get the cheapest stator you can find while you wait for Tim. Although, I'm sure Tim would be willing to Fedex your stator back if you paid for it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
TPE all the way. I think you can search the forums and see 6+ years of everyone saying the same thing.

My TPE stator is working fabulously.

As Kelly stated above, you can get a temporary one and swap it out if you do the stator mod (still a pain to clean and remake the gasket though).

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I am definately going to do the tux mod, living in an apartment complex makes an engine pull a no go. I am going to get the TPE re wind but in the mean time what do you guys think about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-VN7...5e3b4b&vxp=mtr

Also I wanted to ask the machine screws shown for the tux mod say 6mm x 15mm, I couldn't find any at home depot. The closest they had was 6x16, were any of you able to find the 6x15's or was that a typo?

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Garage
Sounds good. But with it being electrical, better find out how the warranty works. I'm sure the seller doesn't warranty it and manufactures themselves don't usually warranty for ebay sellers. Ricks don't warranty ebay seller,stated on their web page. With Ricks stators you have got to have a warranty,,,if you can get them to do anything with it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones750 View Post
I am definately going to do the tux mod, living in an apartment complex makes an engine pull a no go. I am going to get the TPE re wind but in the mean time what do you guys think about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-VN7...5e3b4b&vxp=mtr

Also I wanted to ask the machine screws shown for the tux mod say 6mm x 15mm, I couldn't find any at home depot. The closest they had was 6x16, were any of you able to find the 6x15's or was that a typo?
That's the one I got. They don't pot them after winding. It's been working for a month, I commute 40 miles a day. Output seems to be about like stock ~12.6 at idle without the fan on. Maybe it's high output at 5,000 RPM. On the plus side- boy do they ship fast. I wouldn't count on the warranty, as mentioned.

For the screws, I bought longer ones and cut them down so I could get maximum enagement. Clean the fasteners and mating holes and use plenty of blue Loctite for mounting the stator itself.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
That's the one I got. They don't pot them after winding. It's been working for a month, I commute 40 miles a day. Output seems to be about like stock ~12.6 at idle without the fan on. Maybe it's high output at 5,000 RPM. On the plus side- boy do they ship fast. I wouldn't count on the warranty, as mentioned.

For the screws, I bought longer ones and cut them down so I could get maximum enagement. Clean the fasteners and mating holes and use plenty of blue Loctite for mounting the stator itself.
What do you mean by "they don't pot them after winding" ? I'm a little in the dark about the winding process.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

"Good" stators are coated with a type of thick epoxy after winding and then baked in an oven- this provides some resistance from oil/acid/vibration attack. The RaceTech stator claims triple-coated wires, fine, but still not potted, which is best. Good enough for the short term- I'm going to run mine until it fails, or replace it before a long road trip. With the distance I currently ride everyday, I can always make it home it my stator dies. Might have to unplug the headlight, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement