Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Once Banned

Volt Gauge Install

Here is a pic of the way I installed the voltmeter available from cyclegadgets.com. The unit is in the headlight housing. I connected the quick splice connectors to the wires for the speedometer bulb. That is also behind the headlight. The whole project took less than an hour, and required drilling the one hole in the dash.

The LED dims after about 15 seconds so that it won't be bothersome at night. If the bike is warmed up, I get a green at idle unless I touch the brake. When I come to a stop, like at a stoplight, it goes from steady green to flashing red.

Oh, and when you first turn the bike on, the unit does a self test and flashes red, then amber, then green, each three times.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 AM
2FAS4U

Great post. Thanks
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vaccam Send a message via Yahoo to Vaccam
I purchased one of these after I saw your post. Very easy install as you said. The plastic housing of the dash is actually three pieces sandwiched togeter, chrome, black and white. I decided to make the hole I drilled larger on the black and white layers. Not sure if this was benifical or not. I placed the control unit on the back of the dash, being careful not to cover the screws. I wired mine up to the running lights, but I may go back and install as you did, since now when I want to remove the dash I have an additional wire to disconnect.

As for the status of my LED... when I am above 3k rpms, steady green, if I pop in the clutch while riding then it quickly changes from solid green to amber, to red and then blinking red. At a light with the break on it is blinking red. After about a 35 min ride this morning I noticed that it was staying amber longer than when I had first left in the morning. Meaning while at a light it was blinking red, as I accelerated slowly, in traffic, it moved to amber and stayed that way until around 4k rpms. Maybe it was due to the fan being on, I am not sure. The bike was fully warmed up at that point. That is with no accessories on.

I am not sure at this point what that tells me about my charging system or my battery. I guess it will take more observation. It is definately charging, but I expected more reserve out of my battery. I have yet to check to see if my battery is sealed or not. I must do this soon.

I rode late into fall last year wearing a heated vest and gloves. I would pop on the trickle charger when I got home and it had no problem starting up in the morning. I am hoping to add the heated pants and socks this year. I may need to get a new battery, I believe this is the original which makes it 6 years old.

I am thinking when I do turn my accessories on and find that it is still charging (LED solid green) then there is enough charging going on to charge the battery. Is this a correct assumtion?

I may do the larger batter upgrade another poster mentioned.

Last edited by Vaccam; 08-24-2006 at 07:59 AM.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Once Banned

Quote:
I am thinking when I do turn my accessories on and find that it is still charging (LED solid green) then there is enough charging going on to charge the battery. Is this a correct assumtion?
There is enough to charge the battery, IF the battery is taking the charge. Sounds like your battery may be failing. It's hard for me to believe that the battery is 6 years old. Most bike batteries have to be replaced every 2 years. Also, if it is amber for a longer period of time, it sounds like possible charging system failure, but more than likely it is the battery causing the problem. Pull the seat and tell us what you find.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
it has also been noted that the wire has too much voltage drop from the small gauge that was used to run up to the headlight housing. I suggest running the voltmeter directly from the battery, as that is what is really important anyway.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
it has also been noted that the wire has too much voltage drop from the small gauge that was used to run up to the headlight housing. I suggest running the voltmeter directly from the battery, as that is what is really important anyway.
Hizzo3, doesn't that volt meter draw a little current and wouldn't that be "on" all the time then?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
sorry i guess i should have clarified that. The poor connections can cause the volt meter to read lower voltages. i know i've seen it on here somewhere, maybe in the vulcan versus. As far as the battery drain, you can either install a switch, or you can install a relay that activates off the ignition switch.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Excellent! I have an extra relay I'm gona use on my gauge I just ordered. Thanks for the info Hizzo!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Once Banned

I thought about that when I wired it. But then, I'd rather have the voltmeter reading low anyhow. But really, what's the loss? .1-.2 volts? I guess to really know, we'd have to compare the voltage with the battery while under load (lights on).

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegodsey
Here is a pic of the way I installed the voltmeter available from cyclegadgets.com. The unit is in the headlight housing. I connected the quick splice connectors to the wires for the speedometer bulb. That is also behind the headlight. The whole project took less than an hour, and required drilling the one hole in the dash.
That is absolutly awesome... Much better then the Kury Akyn which I have on my VN750. The KA Volt meter is, IMHO too bright...

I have the same Signal Dynamic's voltage meter on my Nomad and love it. I mounted it to a switch box I have under my radio and have the volt meter running directly to my battery via a relay operated accessory fuse panel I built. See the toys at http://www.bulldogsbike.com/nomadmods.htm

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement