Need to replace Seals when replacing Stator/ what exactly is behind the cover? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Need to replace Seals when replacing Stator/ what exactly is behind the cover?

Hello, I've had my 1995 vn 750 for about two months now. I took it to the dealer where a guy there kindly tested the stator and said it needs replaced (he actually recomended a shop in a nearby city who will do it far cheaper than the dealer I was at) I have a new stator for it but, no seals as yet. Question is do you always need to replace seals? It seems to me that the age of the bike and the fact that where the stator wires come out doesn't look like it has the usual rubber seal around it - so perhaps the stator has been replaced before - perhaps it even has had the mod where you don't need to remove the engine? I'd feel like a fool if I removed the engine only to find out it wasn't necessary - so I thought I'd enquire - if I remove the three screws that hold that cover on - will it be necessary to drain the oil? I figured it was at least worth a check. Also I'd like to make a trip on it Tuesday (about 90 mi one way) and I couldn't likely get seals before then hence that question (I work all weekend and Monday so...)
Thanks in advance,
Thomas M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

In my opinion, seals should always be replaced once disturbed- especially if an engine removal is required to replace it later if your used one leaks.

You don't need to drain the oil to remove the side cover. But be sure to have the bike on the center stand and use a drip pan or newspaper because a few drops will come out. If a factory seal has been undisturbed on the cover, there may be some hard sealant present and it can be rather difficult to get off. Pry the cover from underneath or the front, where you won't see any scratch marks from your screwdriver.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Giggity!

Garage
you will need to replace the gasket where the stator is housed but other than that, there's nothing else that "Needs" replaced but often one will replace the balancer bushings while there in there if your bike has alot of miles or age.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
you will need to replace the gasket where the stator is housed but other than that, there's nothing else that "Needs" replaced but often one will replace the balancer bushings while there in there if your bike has alot of miles or age.
x2.

I'd suggest doing the dampers - most likely has never been done, and for $40 in rubber, it's not a bad idea since you're already in there.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
the rubber grommet/seal for the stator wires and the pickup coils come with the new stator. its actually part of the harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement