troubling issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

troubling issue

I have a 91 vulcan 750 and have been having problems for quite a while now and replaced several parts including stator,voltage reg,gas cap and just recently had the carbs rebuilt. what happens is the bike runs great untill you are sitting at a red light on a hot day it appears that when the fan comes on as soon as you try to crack the throttle it dies, it starts right back up and then runs fine. if I play with the throttle i can keep it from stalling so I have been keeping the throttle at 2000rpms at red lights. I can actually get it to stall at idle in the drive way by just letting it warm up and putting the 4 ways on and the head light on high beam and just wait for the fan to kick in as soon as that happens it dies most times,and if it doesn't it will as soon as you crack the throttle. almost forgot to mention this has happened to me while driving as well. any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Garage
I would start by having the battery load tested for amps. I had a battery that would spin the engine over fairly well but wouldn't let the engine start cause the starter was taking all the amps in the battery. When the fan, brake light, or flashers come on that is an amp draw and could be pulling the battery below amp sufficient level what the engine needs for spark. The charging system is not active at idle so that's why the higher rpm's will keep it running. Just because a battery will show 12v that doesn't mean the amp storage is good in the battery. Load test at a parts store will show if the battery has weak storage cells.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 06-23-2012 at 11:37 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Aftermarket stators often have lower output at idle than stock ones. Pull your battery and frame grounds off and check them out. Perform all of the charging system tests, you may have a bum stator, R/R or ground connection.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness watchfire.

You don`t mention if your battery is a wet cell or a Maintenance Free-AGM like this one from DEKA:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX15L-..._Parts&vxp=mtr

My `91 acted like a completely different animal when I changed out the wet cell for an MF battery.
IF your charging system IS working properly, an MF-AGM battery will maximize your starting and running power.
I don`t have any problem with cold or hot starts anymore.

The stalling while driving makes me wonder if the "Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome" (POOGS) is part of the problem too???
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks I will check into that I didn't consider that because I bought the battery from sears in 2009 and this problem started in 2008
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

maintenance free from sears, its 3 years old. as for the stalling while riding hopefully the rebuilding of carbs solved that problem. I increased the idle to around 1300 rpms and took it out for a ride about 30 miles with a few stop and goes and had no problems. but then it wasn't 90 today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement