Ignition coil test - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Ignition coil test

This is my first post after introducing myself in the newbie section.

My bike won't start. I've removed the carbs to clean them since replacing the battery with an MF and the spark plugs with Iridiums. The bike was starting intermittently before I removed the tank and have begun the process of cleaning the carbs.

I have already made sure it wasn't a "carbs not getting fuel" issue. You can see a brief description of what I've do e so far in my "newbie" post.

Since the gas tank is off, I thought it would be good opportunity to test the continuity of the ignition coils. I did a forum search and found Ol Hoss's directions for testing them.

The test was successful on the primary 12v (with the spade connections) on front and rear coils, I get 2.4 ohms on front and rear). However, I think I might be doing something wrong on testing the high voltage side.(connections to the plugs)

Multimeter reads 1 ohm when I turn it on be default. When I tested the plug boots, it still reads 1 ohm.(no change) So I removed the plug wires from the ignition coils and tested directly off the coils. No change still 1 ohm.

Are my coils(on the spark plug side) faulty, or am I testing it wrong?

If both coils are faulty, what else could have caused that, since it was running somewhat recently? Could there be a bigger problem in the electrical if that is the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Battery was not connected when I did the tests btw. But I don't think that should make a difference....

I just tested with the battery connected and experienced the same results.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 AM

As I said on your newbie post give all the electrics a good clean make sure you have good gound connections,

check the safety switches the kick stand switch gets stuck in and needs some easing oil of some kind wd 40 pb blaster or whatever you got.

These bikes need good clean electrical connections, they will cause all sorts of problems if they are dirty or loose

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Phillings View Post
This is my first post after introducing myself in the newbie section.

My bike won't start. I've removed the carbs to clean them since replacing the battery with an MF and the spark plugs with Iridiums. The bike was starting intermittently before I removed the tank and have begun the process of cleaning the carbs.

I have already made sure it wasn't a "carbs not getting fuel" issue. You can see a brief description of what I've do e so far in my "newbie" post.

Since the gas tank is off, I thought it would be good opportunity to test the continuity of the ignition coils. I did a forum search and found Ol Hoss's directions for testing them.

The test was successful on the primary 12v (with the spade connections) on front and rear coils, I get 2.4 ohms on front and rear). However, I think I might be doing something wrong on testing the high voltage side.(connections to the plugs)

Multimeter reads 1 ohm when I turn it on be default. When I tested the plug boots, it still reads 1 ohm.(no change) So I removed the plug wires from the ignition coils and tested directly off the coils. No change still 1 ohm.

Are my coils(on the spark plug side) faulty, or am I testing it wrong?

If both coils are faulty, what else could have caused that, since it was running somewhat recently? Could there be a bigger problem in the electrical if that is the case?
On my meter`s various scales a "1" indicates "infinite" resistance, or an "open" circuit.
Are you testing the secondary circuit/or components of same, on either the 20K or 200K ohm scale?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Gordon, Sorry for the delayed reply to your recent suggestion. I've been quite busy the last couple of weeks.

You know what? I think that's what I've done wrong!

I was testing the secondary circuit on the lowest scale setting. That would be okay for the 12V primary as they are reading 2.4 Ohms.

But since the secondary should be reading between 15,000k and 29,000(depending on whether I'm testing directly to the coil or at the plug boot connectors.) I should be using the higher scale settings (20,000k to 200,000k ohms), if I'm understanding correctly. ??

I'l try this when I get home from work and post back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Since you said it started a few times- was it running poorly? How old is your gas? Could have a touch of moisture in it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for taking so long to reSpond to this. So busy with the new baby lately. (ten months old and Mom just went back to work)

After a thorough cleaning of the carbs and replacing he spark plug wires and boots, she started up perfectly.

Actually, I had a lot of trouble starting the bike. I had put 4 litres of gas in the tank with an ounce or so of seafoam, and it would not start. It turned out I needed to set the petcock to reserve as anything less than 4 liters won't make it to the carbs.

She started up
Beautifully... Let it idle for a bit, adjusted the idle settings so she would idle at around 1100 rpm with choke off.

After a BBQ dinner decided to I back out to the gargage with my cousin and see if the bike would start without even putting the choke on......

Started first turn over without any hesitation. Since I don't have my licence yet, I had my cousin take it for a spin(he's ridden this bike before I got it) be told me it had never run better. I'm so grateful for this forum and all the great help and inspiration found here.

Thanks everyone. Getting my license in the next month, and takin this baby for a spin.

Cheers,

-Phil

1986 VN750
33,000 km's
Coastered
R/R relocated
Yuasa MF Battery
Iridium plugs/new wires & boots.
Custom 900 Seat
Bar end mirrors
Lowered headlight
Carbs cleaned
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Phillings View Post
So busy with the new baby lately. (ten months old and Mom just went back to work)

Getting my license in the next month, and takin this baby for a spin.

Just remember to take care of the baby first...the 10 month old....and take your other baby for a spin......don't confuse the two!

Ride safe! and congratulations!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Where is this Ol'Hoss post for checking the ignition coils?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
The post was referring to threw Kawasaki service manual procedure

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement