Ignition switch weirdness... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Ignition switch weirdness...

It used to only lock to the right, sprayed it. Now it only locks to the left, and when locked, the rear running light stays on. Any clues ?
If its a bad lock, I'll just bring a chain and padlock with me like I used to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 AM

Wolfie I think on mine lock to the right activates "parking lights". Its been soo long since I've ridden it I could be wrong (about R or L)-but there is a parking light position on the switch. It allows you to have a light on for safety if you're broke down on the side of the rode and have to leave it without having the keys in the ignition.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-jim

To Do List:

-T7 stator mod
-R/R relo
-MF Battery
-voltmeter
-ignition switch
-ACCT's to MCCT's
-LED brake & turns
-spline lube

Did I miss anything?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM

I just went and tried mine to be sure. With the key turned to the left lock position all electronics are disabled. With the key turned to the right lock (P) position the tail light and license plate light automatically come on and you can turn on your hazards or a blinker as well. Confirmed that is how it is supposed to work per the owner's manual page 23.

If yours is opposite of that could something be reversed where it connects to the switch itself? I haven't ever looked at the bottom of it to see how everything connects, but if not there somewhere along the way maybe.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Garage
I don't recall if it actually locks when the key is turned to the right, but to the left is locked with no electrical connections......to the right the marker lights stay on for safety reasons as noted above.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Interesting! Did not know it worked like that, will ck it out later.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
I don't recall if it actually locks when the key is turned to the right, but to the left is locked with no electrical connections......to the right the marker lights stay on for safety reasons as noted above.
Yup it locks like that too. The manual does warn about how fast you will kill your battery if you leave it that way too.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....I thought mebbe I had stuck tumblers or sumpin...just gotta get it to lock the other way now (it used to)....

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Okay, now that I got the left lock working, is there a way to disconnect that auto thing for a right lock ? My area isnt very flat, and oft I'd prefer to lock to the right....(awaiting reply from elec schema pro)...

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM

So sometimes you want you lock your handlebars turned to the left and sometimes turned to the right depending on the ground you are on? You should be able to turn them either way and still turn the key to the left lock position correct? Also, I always thought if the bike was on the side stand it was best to keep the bars turned to the left for stability reasons..i.e. keeping kids (or other people who have no business touching my bike! ) from pulling it over on themselves.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Will only lock with the bars to the left! Your key will go all the way to the right but your tail light will come on and can run down batt pretty quick.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement