Bike Stalls - Stuck in denver on cross country trip - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Bike Stalls - Stuck in denver on cross country trip

hello all,

i could you use help asap. i'm on a cross country trip from san diego to boston and i am stuck in denver.

i left san diego a week ago and the bike was running great until last night. my ride is a 2003 vulcan 750 with 15,000 miles.

the engine stalled a half dozen times in the last 20 miles i've ridden it. the first time, it was lightly raining outside and i was going about 55mph and suddenly the RPM's went from 3500 to 0. the bike restarted without a problem but once i was on the road again the same issue occurred. it also happened at slower speeds.

i immediately went to the closest kawasaki center but it was a half before they closed yesterday so there wasn't much time to troubleshoot. the mechanic thought the problem sounded like an electrical issue with the ignition. they made one change but it didn't fix it. they disconnected an aftermarket 12-volt car charger (for GPS etc) that the previous owner installed. by the way, all the spark plugs looked good too.

any suggestions? anybody know a mechanic in denver? i have a friend of a friend here that might be able to help but that's it for my resources.

thanks,

matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Check on the side stand safety switch. Spray with wd-40 and work the switch. Work the safety stop switch back on and off. Aslo wiggle the coil connections. Hope this helps you. Oh yes add some feul water remover to the gas tank.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

also, i'm reading some of the other posts which are a huge help and i think i can rule out POOGS because it does not feel like bike is running out of gas. rather, the engine power just cuts out suddenly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
it sounds like your ignition switch, or a bad ground, check both the frame ground and engine to frame grounds. also here is a write up on rebuilding the ignition switch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

thank you slimvulcanrider and niterider for the great advice.

slimvulcanrider - i think you're right that it's the ignition switch because just recently i had to also turn the key to the right/left a few times to get my bike to start. i just read another thread that you posted that described a similar issue.

for any else out there experiencing this problem, the thread i mentioned above contains more great info: "Motor cuts-out on occasion." i'd post the url but i'm new to the forum and i cannot insert links until i have a certain number of posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
no problem man.. if you are still having problems and need local help, Warlord247 lives in Denver. as well as several other members.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsd View Post
hello all,

i could you use help asap. i'm on a cross country trip from san diego to boston and i am stuck in denver.

i left san diego a week ago and the bike was running great until last night. my ride is a 2003 vulcan 750 with 15,000 miles.

the engine stalled a half dozen times in the last 20 miles i've ridden it. the first time, it was lightly raining outside and i was going about 55mph and suddenly the RPM's went from 3500 to 0. the bike restarted without a problem but once i was on the road again the same issue occurred. it also happened at slower speeds.

i immediately went to the closest kawasaki center but it was a half before they closed yesterday so there wasn't much time to troubleshoot. the mechanic thought the problem sounded like an electrical issue with the ignition. they made one change but it didn't fix it. they disconnected an aftermarket 12-volt car charger (for GPS etc) that the previous owner installed. by the way, all the spark plugs looked good too.

any suggestions? anybody know a mechanic in denver? i have a friend of a friend here that might be able to help but that's it for my resources.

thanks,

matt
You might be able to hot-wire from the battery to the Y wire coming out of the ignition switch (this wire changes color to Y/R at the downstream connector, between the puck and the handlebar stop switch.) I did this six years ago, but used a relay actuated by tail light power.) Havent got around to fixing the puck yet, but it's worked ever since. You would probably want to use a fuse, 10A should do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement