Simple(hopefully) problem with my starter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Simple(hopefully) problem with my starter

Hey guys, my starter isn't working. I turn the key, flip on the killswitch, and when I hit the starter my bike won't start. This happened randomly one day after a ride. The battery is fine, and it will run fine if I start it with a bumpstart. Should I just crack open the handlebar starter box and look for a severed connection? Could it be anything more?

-Modifications so far-
  • Drag bars & low mirrors
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • Leather Tank Bib(Credit to Romeobravo172 for craftsmanship)
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
When the bike doesn't start, try "rolling" your thumb a crossed the starter button. If this causes the bike to start then tear into the switch. If that doesn't work, try wiggling the ignition switch as you try to press the start button. If that still doesn't work, make sure the start solenoid is working (located behind the right side engine cover)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

if it is the starter solenoid next to the battery box you should be able to use a screwdriver and jump the two large post together and it will turn over you can get a four post for a lawnmower from orielys and it will work as a replacement and its about 40 bucks cheaper than the oem

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
When the bike doesn't start, try "rolling" your thumb a crossed the starter button. If this causes the bike to start then tear into the switch. If that doesn't work, try wiggling the ignition switch as you try to press the start button. If that still doesn't work, make sure the start solenoid is working (located behind the right side engine cover)
"Rolling" my thumb across the switch describes exactly the procedure I discovered yesterday when my scoot wouldn`t start. At first I thought something was wonky with the clutch safety switch because I couldn`t start the engine with the clutch pulled in, whether in neutral or in gear. (Not a good condition if I stalled the engine while riding in traffic. ) But if in neutral and the clutch lever released, it would start every time. This happened perhaps half a dozen times.

I then by chance "rolled" over the switch from top to bottom and it started!
The contacts inside must be arc burned on part of the surface, and need to be cleaned.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Garage
FYI...in a pinch, a pencil eraser is a great buffing tool to clean contacts that are dirty and pitted.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Figured it out,, thanks!

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Let's Ride!!

Garage
What was it?

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

It was just a fouled connection. Took er apart, used a copper brush to scrub er off, put er back together and it's right as rain.

-Modifications so far-
  • Earshave
  • V&H Cruzers
  • VN900 Custom Seat

I am haunted by waters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement