Need Help With Battery Charging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Need Help With Battery Charging

Ok so I pulled my bike out of storage last month, the battery didn't sit in it all winter, i kept in in my living room. Anyway, when i put it in the bike, i had to jump start the bike. Rode it for a bit, had to jump start it again. After about 2 weeks, i figured the battery was 3 years old, time for a new one. Put a new one in, its been good for 2 weeks.
Now today i rode the bike, and me and the lady had our engagement pics done on the bike, so there was alot of starting the bike up, moving it around, etc..
When we went to leave, it had no juice, had to jump start it. I figured it was drained from all the starting and moving around for pics.
Rode it home, about 60 miles, most of it on the interstate, should that be enough to charge the battery???
Anyway, got it home, it died in front of the garage, and i couldn't get it started again. Just making a click click click noise.

The new and old battery are both the same type of sealed battery, not those you have to fill and charge.

Is this a charging issue, stator issue, etc???
Its a 2001 with just under 21K on it. I have never had any issues like this with a brand new battery.

Please advise...

I know these bike have known voltage and stator issues, but how do i Confirm this?

Thanks

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)

Last edited by gcextreme; 05-21-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Garage
start with testing the charging system by using Slim's worksheet:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21206
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Thanks, I'm not very "electronic" inclined, stuff with wires, voltage, etc. I am way more mechanically inclined, I can take stuff a part a and rebuild and fix stuff.

So af far as testing voltage and stuff I don't have any electrical tools like that.
I don't think it's my stator, I really don't drive it a hell of alot, or real hard. Unless its a bad or corroded connection somewhere.

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Start at the begining and clean all electrical conections and apply di-electric grease, make sure you have good grounds, then if you can get a multimeter connect it to the battery terminals and start the bike, rev the bike to 4000revs and read the multimeter it should read around 14volts, if not youmay have stator problems.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Garage
The worksheet will pinpoint where the problem is in the entire charging system.

If you are not comfortable using a multimeter, maybe you can get a friend to help you with it. It really is pretty easy once you get to know how to read resistance and voltages on a meter.

If your stator is somehow weak or shorted on one of the 3 windings, your system will not charge properly. The stator is a known weakness on these bikes. It is possible the Regulator is bad, but you really need to determine if one or several things are contributing to the problem in order to properly fix it.

Good luck....I'd offer to come and help if I were closer.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
The worksheet will pinpoint where the problem is in the entire charging system.

If you are not comfortable using a multimeter, maybe you can get a friend to help you with it. It really is pretty easy once you get to know how to read resistance and voltages on a meter.

If your stator is somehow weak or shorted on one of the 3 windings, your system will not charge properly. The stator is a known weakness on these bikes. It is possible the Regulator is bad, but you really need to determine if one or several things are contributing to the problem in order to properly fix it.

Good luck....I'd offer to come and help if I were closer.
Thanks man, and to all the others who replied with info.,

I got a charger/maintainer and got the battery fully charged..... it should hold a charge for a while, right?

Next, tomorrow i am going to borrow a multimeter tool from a co-worker who is an electrician at work. I will do the Rev to 4000rpm thing and see what that outcome is.

Does anyone have any pics of the R/R thing and any other possible wires/connectors that may be corroded or loose, or etc... i really don't have a clue where to look on the bike for this....
i have taken the rear end and tires and stuff off for the spline lube, i've done brake work, and other stuff of that sort, but never much electrical work on this bike, other than hooking up my saddlebag blinkers.

Pics would be great... i still have to get a manual book for this bike, so so far this forum is the next best thing...

thanks guys

I have a ride for Habitat for Humanity this weekend that i am road guarding for, so i need my bike to run and keep running, i don't want to be stranded with a dead battery at one of my road stops.

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Bat
Bat

The RR thing is what is shown at the top of the page in the box marked 'Electrical'. It is located under the battery box, mounted to the bottom of it, and it is recommended in this forum that it be moved out and relocated in a cooler place, maybe on the frame, where it doesn't get fried by the heat trapped between the battery box and the goat's belly. There are instructions elsewhere for doing this manuver.
But I digress. Do your battery test first, and check all connections, see that they are shiny and tight fitting, grease with dielectric grease lightly so they don't corrode. Make sure your ground wire from the battery to the frame is clean and tight, and all others, too. Sometimes that's all it takes. Good luck.
Bat
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Ok so with the motor at about 4k rpms the meter reads 13.0-12.9
Is that ok, bad, acceptable?

Im going to start tearing things apart and checking connections and wires, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Garage
it should be a tad bit higher...sounds like the charging system isn't working to it's full potential. I get 14.5 volts at 4Krpm with stock regulator.

Sorry to say, but you need to test the stator and the regulator as per the worksheet mentioned earlier so you can pinpoint the real issues and fix them.

I'm pulling for ya man!!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Is this the sheet thing you are referring you?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/88523705/V...ide#fullscreen

I don't understand any of that.

Would a bad headlight rocker High/Low switch be a cause for a short ?
My switch for the High Low beams has been goofed up. It has to be tight in the middle to work, if it's all the way down or up, the white headlight indicator comes on. My bulb is five, I replaced it last year when I thought that was the problem, but it's just the rocket toggle switch.

Right now I am working on removing the R/R.
How do I test that Do I use the multimeter on it, and how?

Sorry im a complete tard with this electrical stuff.

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement