starter won't roll over - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

starter won't roll over

I have a new battery in. My lights are all bright, horn works, cluster works but bike won't even roll over. I know it is electrical, either kickstand or something. Any help for a non mechanical fellow would be appreciated. I just hi know it is something small and looking to save a couple bucks please.ad carbs redone and bike runs fantastic. Mec told me it was charging great as well. This happened once before and in a couple days started working again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario hunter View Post
I have a new battery in. My lights are all bright, horn works, cluster works but bike won't even roll over. I know it is electrical, either kickstand or something. Any help for a non mechanical fellow would be appreciated. I just hi know it is something small and looking to save a couple bucks please.ad carbs redone and bike runs fantastic. Mec told me it was charging great as well. This happened once before and in a couple days started working again.
make sure the plunger is working in and out freely on the kickstand switch and the clutch switch is plugged in and functioning,and if that doesn't help put it in neutral push the starter button and give the starter a good swift kick,but not with sneakers on ...No Joke, the brushes may be hanging up a little in the brush rigging and the tap breaks them loose.You can use a rubber or leather mallet or a very light tap with a hammer ,don't thump it hard with regular hammer .You can slap it pretty good with something soft though.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

i tapped the starter with a hammer and pushed the kick starter button in and out and it is going freely. I will check the clutch switch in morning. Where is it on clutch lever?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario hunter View Post
i tapped the starter with a hammer and pushed the kick starter button in and out and it is going freely. I will check the clutch switch in morning. Where is it on clutch lever?
pull the lever in, look up from the bottom, it's the plastic pin and easy to see. it should pop in and out. but it won't make any difference with the bike in neutral, and using the starter. it's a safety switch to keep you from starting while in gear and the clutch engaged. mine has been broken for a year. bike starts fine in neutral without it. check the solenoid, it's under the seat, the positive battery wire runs to it. tap it lightly with a plastic mallet. you can try jumpering it with a heavy piece of wire, with the key on. be careful not to arc anything! a used solenoid is $20 and takes 5 minutes to replace. the solenoid also has a fuse in it, could be a blown fuse or corroded contacts.

check your kill switch too, it should "snap" on and off. if it feels spongy it could be bad.

by the way, if the kill switch is off the starter won't work. sounds simple but most of us have done left it off, some people never use it and forget it's there. once or twice i have said "wtf" and it's just the switch turned off.

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I jumped the solenoid and it rolls over. I will replace the solenoid and hopefully I'll be away. Tappping did not work, only jumping the posts.Can I assume this is the issue?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

ok, I charged battery to be sure. Got new solenoid for $55 and still nothing. I cleaned the starter button and checked the clutch switch and they are plugged in. What now? Again if I cross the posts on solenoid it will roll over.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Banned

Neu switch? Bad relay in jb? I know this has come up many times in the past and you can find the threads if you search for them.

Last edited by dariv; 05-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
If you know how to find pin 12 on the JB (mine is a black wire). Run a wire to it from any ground point or batt(-). This should bypass all safety switches. Make sure you are in neutral. You could also leave it on the center stand.

If it starts after doing this, you know it is one of the switches. It kinda sounds like the clutch switch is bad.

~~C8>

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 05-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I have attached 2 pics of my clutch switch and you can see something is missing. Is this my problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1784.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	4513   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1788.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4514  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I have attached 2 pics of my clutch switch and you can see something is missing. Is this my problem?There is a plug with three attachments going into nothing and on bottom of clutch handle you can see a void area with 3 screw holes. How does this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement