86 and it wont hold a charge, headlights go out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

86 and it wont hold a charge, headlights go out

Hey everyone.. We are struggling and first I would like to say thanks for all the info already out there and for any additional info you can pass my way.
86 750.. Battery is new and charged up fully... Start the bike up and the battery output reads at about 12.8... Ride it for a while and then we take a reading and its down 12.3.. ride for a little long and the headlights go out and then we take a reading and its 11.8.. The bike might or might not start. The longer it sits then further it drains. We checked all of the grounds and they look good.. even cleaned them up anyway. Replaced the r/r (with a used one) and get the same readings. Appears not to be the r/r. Sure seems like the stator but damn thats alot of work and want to make sure we aren't missing anything. Going to go through that fault finding flow chart tonight and see what it points to. Could this be caused by the reserve lighting switch? Can I run the bike without that plugged in or would that cause additional damage?

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Sadly, it's most likely your stator.

Run through the flow-cart with a multi-meter. If it ends up being the stator then it's a lot of work, but it's a right of passage!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

try this disconnect the positive side of the battery with the key turned off an run a test light from the positive cable to the positive post on the battery if it lights up you have something wired directly to the battery that is draining it if that is the case pull one fuse and see if the test light goes out if not replace that fuse and pull another and so on until the light goes out

if the light never goes out check all the aftermarket wiring if you have any if the test light doesnt come on in the initial test then thtanner is right and its probably the stator

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Drop your multimeter on to the battery terminals and start the bike when you rev the bike to 4000 you should get a charge reading of around 14v if not then it may well be the stator
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM
www.underworldlarp.ca

It is a rite of passage.

I just got through dealing with this and it turned out one of the wires from the R/R was cooked. I had to disconnect the 6 pin connector to see this since for some reason putting the volt meter in there it was creating a connection and giving me a false reading.

Anyway, I had to remove that section of the connector and rigged up a new connection that wont vibrate loose after I cleaned the connections. Look at the connection for the Black and Yellow wire that goes back to the - Ground.

On top of that I also had issues with loose ground connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement