Wires too close to goats belly - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Unhappy Wires too close to goats belly

Well, I discovered a problem that I don`t think anyone has brought up here previously.

I was out working on the bike tonight and discovered that the stator wires and ignition pick-up coil wires were almost laying on the goats belly.
They were still OK, not melted or burned, but if they were that close the last time the bike was ridden I don`t know how they didn`t flop around and get damaged.

So just offering a "heads up" to take a look at your scoot and see if it needs a couple of zip ties to hold those wires up and away from the belly of the goat.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Well, I discovered a problem that I don`t think anyone has brought up here previously.

I was out working on the bike tonight and discovered that the stator wires and ignition pick-up coil wires were almost laying on the goats belly.
They were still OK, not melted or burned, but if they were that close the last time the bike was ridden I don`t know how they didn`t flop around and get damaged.

So just offering a "heads up" to take a look at your scoot and see if it needs a couple of zip ties to hold those wires up and away from the belly of the goat.
With the way the wires are routed anyways, wouldn't it be a good idea to wrap the wires in a heat shield or one of those plastic ribbed anti-chaff tubes?

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
With the way the wires are routed anyways, wouldn't it be a good idea to wrap the wires in a heat shield or one of those plastic ribbed anti-chaff tubes?
The wires are inside another rubber or plastic sleeve, but the ribbed loom might offer some chaffing protection. IMO, I don`t think the loom offers much protection from the extreme heat of the exhaust system if the wiring harness is actually laying right on it.

If an actual metal loom or heat shield is available, it might be effective.

I have a question for the electrical gurus here that I should know the answer to, but don`t.
Are the clear plastic sleeves around the bullet connectors on the stator wires shrink wrap, sealing and holding the two pieces together.
I tried to separate the connectors on one wire a couple of years ago, and ended up trying to cut through just the clear plastic sleeve so I could do an AC voltage test on the stator. I quit before I succeded in separating the connectors, because I was afraid I was going to break something.

So now it sits with the clear plastic sleeve partially cut lengthwise, but the connector still firmly connected. I am not experienced in soldering wires, (or anything else for that matter), so remain leery of breaking any wires in the harness. I did buy some solder today, and I do have a soldering iron, so with some practice I may be able learn how to make a good splice, and not be afraid to work on the stator wire.

Dang bikes are just like women it seems. Both make you do a lot of work before you can have any fun.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Ndr

to the best of my knowledge, the plastic covers on those wires are not shrink wrap and and designed to be snug, but not too tight to impede removal/disconnection of the wires. I suppose though with enough heat, (and they are in the perfect location for that) that the plastic would melt a bit and make it tough to disconnect. Also, with the of dielectric grease, the connectors can easily corrode and the two halves would get stuck together (possibly the bigger reason why your having trouble getting them apart)

As far as soldering goes, it deff gets east with more practice. I would also recommend picking up a tub of soldering flux from your local Radio Shack or similar type store. apply the flux to the bare wires at the joint/splice and apply the soldering iron tip directly to the bare wire until they wires get hot enough to melt the solder. you don't want to melt the solder with the iron itself. The flux will help suck the solder into the joint and make a better connection.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Garage
The clear sleeve on the bullet connectors will eventually get hot enough to fuse together. The heat generated to do this is not always from a nearby heat source like the GB or exhaust, believe it or not, the connectors themselves get hot enough to melt the plastic casing. If you were to cut them and solder the connections, and cover with shrink tubing, this eliminates the resistance in the connection that causes them to heat up.

DO NOT bunch the bullet connectors together or cover them with plastic loom as this will cause them to overheat...they need to dissipate whatever heat is generated by the connections themselves.
Cleaning them and ensuring a good contact will help them stay cooler.

My question is how are the wires routed? can you provide a photo?

I re-routed mine so the bullet connectors are on the rear facing side of the cross rail on the frame in front of the battery box. Keep it away from the left side header, where mine was from the factory.

I used a wire tie on the frame with another wire tie slipped under it and loosely forming a loop around the wires below the bullet connectors to hold them in place....but the bullets themselves are loose and able to "breath".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement