so i bought this 86 vn750 and........heeelllllp - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

so i bought this 86 vn750 and........heeelllllp

ok here we go so i bought this bike and the battery was bad when i went to look at it we put a charger on it and it fired up and sounded a little rough then i noticed the clear liquid dripping out of the left carb so i didnt test ride it i negotiated the price and bought it as it was when i got it home i bought a new bat and went thru the long process of properly charging the thing so i know thats not the issue i put the bat in and it fired off and away i went (oh before you ask i tightened the drain screw on the carb and the leak stopped) i made a few laps around the lot then rolled into the garage to adjust the idle
i lowered the idle and rolled back out of the garage eased out of the clutch and it died this is what i did since
added fuel
changed plugs (new ngk coppers)
checked to make sure the fuel was on and it was
checked for spark (front head has it back head doesnt)
switched front and back coils and still front is sparking back is not
wasted 120 bucks on an igniter
made it backfire loud twice out of the right side pipe which is the one to the front head

I am an automotive mechanic and im good with cars but i have no clue what is going on with this bike so someone please help
oh and what is the compression suposed to be at
i have no car right now this bike is my only means of transportation i need it fixed asap im in south west houston if anyone can help i will gladly pay them a reasonable rate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Some basic questions.

A. What type of battery? Wet cell? AGM? Gel?
B. Is the battery good, for sure? Some dead batteries show a full voltage, but can't push out any amperage.
C: CHECK ALL OF YOUR GROUND CABLES. Clean the contacts, and tighten the connection. There is a ground cable on the engine itself as well as the battery. This has saved several people many headaches by simply checking the grounds. All the random inconsistencies you're stating sound like bad ground.

In regards to your plugs, you should get the Iridiums in my signature. NGK coppers are great for older Hondas, but were never good for this bike, even when it was new. The new style Iridiums really help the spark, especially with older VN750s.

These are the basics I would check before going crazy on the other stuff.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

the bat was a dry charge from oriely's auto parts meaning i had to pour in the acid myself but i have done this before and i charged it on 12v 2amp for an hour then let it sit for two hours and checked it before i installed the old plugs were the same ngk coppers but they were completely black on the ends im on a very low budget so i got the coppers thinking new coppers are better than fouled ones i will be upgrading them soon i was reading about the gap on the pickups but i dont have a gauge and no way to the store i remember my father using a peice of paper to gap the magneto on his old lawn mower but i have no idea if that would work i will double check my grounds and the bat shows 12.9 volts and it drops to 12.2 when i am turning it over

Last edited by new rider 9984; 05-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
the bat was a dry charge from oriely's auto parts meaning i had to pour in the acid myself but i have done this before and i charged it on 12v 2amp for an hour then let it sit for two hours and checked it before i installed the old plugs were the same ngk coppers but they were completely black on the ends im on a very low budget so i got the coppers thinking new coppers are better than fouled ones i will be upgrading them soon i was reading about the gap on the pickups but i dont have a gauge and no way to the store i remember my father using a peice of paper to gap the magneto on his old lawn mower but i have no idea if that would work i will double check my grounds and the bat shows 12.9 volts and it drops to 12.2 when i am turning it over
I doubt the gap mod will assist with your cold-starting. It was really developed to cure the hard-starting issues.

The battery sounds like an AGM, and it does sound like it was charged properly, so that's good. I doubt the plugs are the reason you can't start, but Iridiums took my bike from 2-3 turn-overs of the engine to start, to a single turn-over. It just makes it easier to get her going.

Hope it's something simple like a ground for you.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Garage
Sounds like a pick up coil is bad, you narrowed it down already.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Pick-up Coils / COIL-PULSING
- Kawasaki Part # 59026-1062
- Price New: $115.63 (RonAyers)
- Cheapest used set I can find: $40+ shipping
-Here is the eBay search I used

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

Last edited by thtanner; 05-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

yup grounds are good thanks for the confirmation i hate it when im right like i said i dont know jack about bikes but i do know engines and when one coil isnt getting and spark and the other is and you switch them and the spark is still only going to the same location then that means the coil isnt bad correct? i did start removing my pickups but i decided to put them back but that was before i knew about the gap specs i just checked compression and the front head is between 60 and 90 the back which has no spark is at 130 to 150 does that mean that my acct is messed up please say no i dont want to keep throwing money at this thing i bought it to ride not to rebuild i mean i knew i was going to have to do some maintinance but i havent got three block out of the thing yet
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
yup grounds are good thanks for the confirmation i hate it when im right like i said i dont know jack about bikes but i do know engines and when one coil isnt getting and spark and the other is and you switch them and the spark is still only going to the same location then that means the coil isnt bad correct? i did start removing my pickups but i decided to put them back but that was before i knew about the gap specs i just checked compression and the front head is between 60 and 90 the back which has no spark is at 130 to 150 does that mean that my acct is messed up please say no i dont want to keep throwing money at this thing i bought it to ride not to rebuild i mean i knew i was going to have to do some maintinance but i havent got three block out of the thing yet
Wow, as I stated in the other thread, please use some periods, somewhere!!!

The pick up coils are different than the ignition coils. The pick-up coils are behind the generator cover.

ACCT stands for Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner, which does as it says, puts tension on the cam chains. This keeps them from jumping, which would mess with timing.

I am not sure if you can route the cables for the pickup coils without dropping the engine. Anyone have a better idea if you can? I'll look at my bike tonight, since the engine is still on the ground and opened up.

Quick Edit: Also, inspect the wiring that you can see for the pickup coils. Check for shorts, kinks, etc. Also, clean the connection on the igniter unit that goes to the coils with some electrical contact cleaner.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

Last edited by thtanner; 05-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
ass hole extaordinaire

how hard is it to drop the engine?
could i cut and splice the wires on the pickups if i used heat shrink?
what about the compression issue?
and thanks to everyone for the help
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
how hard is it to drop the engine?
could i cut and splice the wires on the pickups if i used heat shrink?
what about the compression issue?
and thanks to everyone for the help
-You said you were mechanical, so dropping the engine wouldn't be outside of your skill-set I would think. It takes some time, as several things need to be removed prior (cooling system, carburetors (a PITA), etc). I have been really taking my time with mine, but if I really worked hard at it I would say it is an 8-14 hour job beginning to end.

- I don't think splicing the wiring is suggested for the pickup coils. Somebody else might be able to chime in and offer some advice that has possibly dealt with that.

- I haven't really had to explore compression issues on these bikes yet.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat