Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
"Ear" Electrical Box Mod

Two years ago I was having issues with my electrical system and narrowed it down to a bad wiring harness. I tried to replace the wiring harness, but the "new" harness wasn't much better. So, I decided to rewire my bike to better suit my needs. I had several things in mind while rewiring my bike I wanted to accomplish several tasks. 1) get rid of the Junction Box, 2) move the electronics away from the battery 3)my key broke off on the ignition switch so I wanted to move the Ignition switch, and 4)I wanted to add more relays than what came stock in the JB.

During this same time I did several other mods to my bike. I conducted an ear shave, gaped the pick up coils, and a few other things which aren't relative to this topic.

Since the "Ears" were no longer serving a purpose as air boxes, I decided to fill them up with the electronics. And that is where this story truly starts.

At first I just threw the parts in, and used sheet metal screws to hold every thing together, But I always had plans of fixing it up the right way. So today I started laying every thing out to start building the box the correct way.

I started by taking an old house hold circuit brake panel cover (from here on out is to be refered to as sheet of metal) and a discarded "Ear" cover and traced the Shape of the air box onto the sheet of metal.

Next I wanted all the relays to point out toward you when you open up the "Ear" so I measured my relay connectors and gave myself an extra half an inch for room to run the wires. Then laid out the template to build the bracket.

Next installment I will be cutting out the mounting plate and relay bracket and laying out the templates for the Fuse Box, Ignition Switch, and ground studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
I have slowly been working on this mod. and Here is where I am at as of now.

Relay and Fuse Panel (as seen with ear cover off)

Ignition Switch is wired to the cover

And all buttoned up

Next on my to do list on the Electrical Ear is to heat shrink all the wires, and mount it up to the bike to start building the harness.

I am completely rewiring the bike at this stage. I am wondering what gauge of wire to run for my main positive and main negative to the Electrical Ear. I want to wire it directly to the batter.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Jack of all trades

lookin good! I love to see these projects. Original ideas are always exciting to follow even if I never plan to do the mod myself. I look forward to following this one as well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Thanks Angel...

I am making my main battery cables out of 4 guage battery cable, and still unsure what gauge I should use to run to the Electrical Box.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Well, I can't make the cables out of 4 gauge, cause I don't have the right sized lugs. or I am going to have to wait until Tuesday to get the right parts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Thanks Angel...

I am making my main battery cables out of 4 guage battery cable, and still unsure what gauge I should use to run to the Electrical Box.
stator & R/R has 14 gauge....right ?
10 or 12 gauge

WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
I am running 14 out of the relays, so I am thinking 10 should be fine.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTech View Post
stator & R/R has 14 gauge....right ?
10 or 12 gauge

WilliamTech
Resurrection of old thread here.
I used to think the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the R/R must be at least 14 ga, until someone here said they are only 18 ga. So I examined my scoot and the wires do appear to be only 18 ga.

Disclaimer: I am only a modestly talented backyard mechanic and parts changer. Tracking down and fixing electrical gremlins are not a strong suit of mine.

Having admitted my modest electrical skills and knowledge, it still seems to me that slim's use of 14 ga wiring out of the relays is larger than neccessary. IMHO, except for the starter and main ground cable, 16 ga should be sufficiently large (and probably larger than the stock wiring) for any applications on the vn750.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-05-2013 at 12:46 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Old Fart

Garage
^yes, but some folks believe in over kill as an engineering concept.

18 to 14 gauge is a big jump, but it's not like its going to hurt. Anytime you increase the distance of a wire you should increase its thickness.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Resurrection of old thread here.
I used to think the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the R/R must be at least 14 ga, until someone here said they are only 18 ga. So I examined my scoot and the wires do appear to be only 18 ga.

Disclaimer: I am only a modestly talented backyard mechanic and parts changer. Tracking down and fixing electrical gremlins are not a strong suit of mine.

Having admitted my modest electrical skills and knowledge, it still seems to me that slim's use of 14 ga wiring out of the relays is larger than neccessary. IMHO, except for the starter and main ground cable, 16 ga should be sufficiently large (and probably larger than the stock wiring) for any applications on the vn750.
My rewound TPE Stator came to me with "New" 16 gauge wires.
My old OEM "Stock" Stator did have 18 gauge.

Quote:
IMHO, except for the starter and main ground cable, 16 ga should be sufficiently large (and probably larger than the stock wiring) for any applications on the vn750.
Yes, I agree, but often "Over-Engineer" with 14 gauge on longer lengths.
..that's just me.

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement