Want to put toggle switch for headlight!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Kufbass

Want to put toggle switch for headlight!!

I ordered hid light for my bike. The only problem is they say to disconnect the auto turn on headlight. This could damage the hid light. Now I have a toggle switch for my foglights and would like to connect the headlight to this toggle switch. I was wondering if anyone knows how this can be done. Thanks guys!!

2002 Vulcan 750
V&H Pipes
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Green Led Night Lights
Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Garage
I am not sure why it would damage the HID...but if you already have a switch with a relay attached you can probably wire in a second relay or possibly replace it with a DPDT relay.

I am not sure what HID you have, or how you are wired into your fog lights.

I thought I read somewhere recently that there was a HID kit that was plug and play and fit in the socket of the stock headlight.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Kufbass

For some reason it says to disconnect the autolight. It says Turn the engine on first, before turning on the HIDYou must DISABLE Daytime Running Light or "Auto Switch-On" functions before the HID installation.

HID system requires a steady level of battery voltage of at least 12V initially. “Auto Switch-On” and Daytime Running Light functions draw power from the vehicle battery which causes the HID system to fail to initially ignite.

If you have Daytime Running Light, disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only. Please contact your vehicle dealer/manufacturer for more information.

If you have "Auto Switch-On" Headlight function, ensure to switch the function to "Manual Switch-On" headlight mode.
To avoid further damages, always remember to start your vehicle before turn on the HID system.

Determine if additional high-power relay wirings are required to provide sufficient power to the HID systems.
kit.

2002 Vulcan 750
V&H Pipes
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Green Led Night Lights

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kufbass View Post
For some reason it says to disconnect the autolight. It says Turn the engine on first, before turning on the HIDYou must DISABLE Daytime Running Light or "Auto Switch-On" functions before the HID installation.

HID system requires a steady level of battery voltage of at least 12V initially. “Auto Switch-On” and Daytime Running Light functions draw power from the vehicle battery which causes the HID system to fail to initially ignite.

If you have Daytime Running Light, disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only. Please contact your vehicle dealer/manufacturer for more information.

If you have "Auto Switch-On" Headlight function, ensure to switch the function to "Manual Switch-On" headlight mode.
To avoid further damages, always remember to start your vehicle before turn on the HID system.

Determine if additional high-power relay wirings are required to provide sufficient power to the HID systems.
kit.
ok..still not sure what kit you have, but it sounds like the verbage above is just legal mumbo jumbo...lol

The ballast needs a minimum of 12V to operate. The initial battery drain on start up might be an issue according to the verbiage above. If you think your battery will be less than 12V with the key turned on and motor off, then by all means go ahead and wire it to a relay.
I assume you copied it word for word, which leads me to believe it is possibly a Chinese made product....judging from the way it was written.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Kufbass

Well my headlight usually does not turn on until I try to start the bike. If I just turn the key to on the headlight will not come on. I am wondering if anyone would know what wire I would run to my toggle switch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170492679790...84.m1497.l2649

2002 Vulcan 750
V&H Pipes
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Green Led Night Lights

Last edited by Kufbass; 04-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Garage
how do you have your switch wired now?
Is it directly from the battery to the lights, or do you have an automotive relay installed?

You can get a Dual switch(DPDT) automotive relay and use the switch to trigger both sets of contacts....one for the "fog lights" and one for the "HID lights"

Alternately you can wire in 2 separate relays using the toggle to trigger both at the same time.

My copy of the wiring diagram is not great, but it looks like the headlight dimmer switch output is R/Y.......but I am not sure how that will effect the reserve lighting unit.

Hopefully someone who has done this mod will chime in soon.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 04-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Kufbass

Right now the fog light switch is right to the battery.

2002 Vulcan 750
V&H Pipes
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Green Led Night Lights
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
there is no reason that the stock headlight wiring won't work... as long as the HL Relay inside the JB is working. because the headlight doesn't turn on until after the engine starts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
there is no reason that the stock headlight wiring won't work... as long as the HL Relay inside the JB is working. because the headlight doesn't turn on until after the engine starts.
I was thinking that, but since I have not installed an HID system, I just didn't want to give bad advice.

I assume it is just plug and play. not sure how it all fits in the bucket, and I was under the impression that the HID's required a different reflector than the stock one for proper spread of the beam.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Kufbass

I was looking at this replacement for the reflector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-ROUND-CLEA...64bb1a&vxp=mtr

2002 Vulcan 750
V&H Pipes
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Green Led Night Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement