NEED HELP! possible igniter failure - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

NEED HELP! possible igniter failure

okay so i suppose best place to start is at the beginning, my 03 750 was having issues starting up. upon first inspection all 4 plugs where carbon fouled and the front plugs were wet with fuel. took out the carb and did the rejet and clean procedure just in case and replaced the plugs. after replacing the plugs bike fired right up until i goosed the throttle then it died on me and has not started since, ive followed all diagnostic procedures that i could, i replaced the spark plug caps because they were burnt up and had no continuity. next i tested the pick up coil resistance which came out to be 455 ohms, well within specs, both ignition coils have a primary resistance of 2.2 ohms and the secondary is about 23k ohms. i did the spark test a few times and i only seem to get a weak amount of spark on one plug on the rear cylinder the rest have no spark at all. so here is my delema followed my clymers manual in order to do the resistance test on my igniter module with a digital multimeter and based off the readings ive gotten im inclined to believe that the igniter is a goner, tried to take it to my local kawasaki shop to have them do the test with the kawasaki tool but they claim not to have it. everything else is within specs and im at a loss at this point and dont know what else to do but replace the igniter cause shes getting fuel and has good compression and it cranks over nice and strong it just wont start. errrrgggghhh im frustrated at insight or input would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
What rejet procedure was required? Did you do an ear shave?

Regardless, you do need a nice fat blue spark on all plugs.

Make sure the connectors and terminals on the ignitor are clean and not oxidized.
Look at the plug end of the 6 pin connector and ensure none of the terminals are too 'spread out' to make good connection.
Make sure there is batt(+) power to both ignition coil primaries (red wires) AND the ignitor IC (terminal with the red wire) when the ignition switch is 'ON'.
Make sure there is a good batt(-) on the black wires with stripes on the 6-pin connector. The switch can be off for this check.

Hard to understand how a Kawasaki shop could not have the tester tool.

~~C8>
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the little bit of insight, ill run a few of those tests when i get a day to work on my bike. this has been just driving me up a wall.

i couldnt believe that a dealer would not have the necessary tester for that.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Before getting a ignitor I would remove clean and dilectic grease all electrical connections it only takes one poor connection and it can throw up all sorts of problems.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
also make sure the pickup coils ant shorting to ground.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

yea i test each of the pickup coil wires in the harness against ground and my results keep coming up out of limits (inifinity) so that test is coming out good too.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
do you have a test light? ground it out to the frame with taligator clip, and test lead into the pickup coil connector.. it should flash as you try and start the engine. next place the test lead onto the coils to see if they are flashing. If they flash, then the ballast resistors inside the spark plug caps are bad, or you have bad wires.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
do you have a test light? ground it out to the frame with taligator clip, and test lead into the pickup coil connector.. it should flash as you try and start the engine. next place the test lead onto the coils to see if they are flashing. If they flash, then the ballast resistors inside the spark plug caps are bad, or you have bad wires.
should all 4 wires flash on the connector or will only two flash?

Last edited by mavrickvn750; 04-18-2012 at 06:05 PM.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
only 2
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

okay so i was able to run a few test today, i put a test light to both ignition coil primaries and and they were getting power key on engine off, and they were getting a pulse while cranking the bike. i used the test light on the 4 pin pickup coil connector while the connector was still connected and go no light and no pulse while cranking so does that mean my pick up coil is bad? cause its passed the resistance test i did on it about a week ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement