losing power please help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy losing power please help

I have 94 vulcan and for some reason its losing power not in battery thou it will not start now I replaced the seloanoid replaced the junction box eveb bought new wiring harness still nothing I'm getting power to rectifier and don't know what else to do when I hit start button it acts like it doesn't have enough power to crank up batterys good and would like to know if it has a alternator on this model or what it could be please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
where exactly are you getting power to the rectifier at? A1,A2,A3, or at white wire? if you are getting power at the white wire, its just residual feed back from the battery... There isn't a normal alternator on most motorcycles (the vn7xx included). Instead we have a Stator which produces 3 Phase AC voltage, hence we have a Rectifier which in turn converts the ac voltage to DC voltage, then the Regulator regulates the Voltage to maintain the proper battery voltage dependent upon load of the electrical system.

In theory, the Stator and Charging system as a whole should not effect the engines ability to start. Common problems to week starts is:
Bad Frame Ground
Bad Engine Ground
Loos Battery Terminal Connections
Bad Starter Motor Connections (Ground or Positive)
Bad connections in the Ignition Switch
Bad Contacts inside the start button switch

Another question. How do you know the battery is good? Has it been load tested? Have you tried jump starting it with an car battery?

Also you say its loosing power. How so... you crank a couple of times and the battery is dead? Or you let the bike sit over night and the battery seams week, then you recharge it and its fine?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

slim

I mean I push the button the selonoid clicks like crazy and the starter turns over but not enough to crank and I tryed to jump start the starter with jumper cable still nothing

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
If you try jumping with another vehicle, like auto ect, do it without the motor running. Have read here that can cause damage!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
If you try jumping with another vehicle, like auto ect, do it without the motor running. Have read here that can cause damage!
I have read that too, but I don`t understand why it should.
Both vehicles are 12 volts dc. The starter will only draw what current it needs.
FWIW, I would not be afraid to boost my own bike with the car engine running.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
have you tried taking apart the starter? Pull off the starter and bench test it. also with the starter off, try turning the engine over by hand... if the engine turns over hard then you have internal engine problems. If the stater fails spin very fast, you will need to rebuild the starter... This does not sound like a charging issue, but more like a mechanical or starter issue.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I noticed last night that my ground to the battery had came out of terminal hook up it was loose my battery was reading 11.5 but is that from me trying to crank it so much while the ground wasn't on there I heard my battery making sizzling sounds as well its a new battery could that have been the problem
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
yup... for both the battery sizzling and the no start problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement