Charging question. Possibly overcharging related. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered Badass

Question Charging question. Possibly overcharging related.

New MF battery, Stator, MOSFET R/R, Iridium Spark Plugs, LED Tail Lights, and a used Ninja Junction Box..

I'm now seeing amazing charging performance. I'm getting 14.5V at idle and it never seems to go over 15V when reving in the driveway.

However, after freeway riding for awhile (about 20 miles) my LED battery meter shows no more charging is taking place. It seems to stay at 12.8 or so volts. Restarting the bike seems to return things to normal.

I checked the battery terminals and they're snug (most of that wiring is new and pretty). Stator wires are also new and don't appear to be shorting out.

What I'm wondering is if the MOSFET R/R or even the battery itself has some kind of over-charging protection that is kicking in. I would suspect the new R/R would have some kind of feature like this but I can't find any documentation on it.

At the end of the day the battery is getting charged fine. But I want to be sure this is normal behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
I would test the stator when it is hot to make sure you get the same readings when it is cold.

I do not run the MOSFET R/R so I do not know of any over-charge protection built into the unit.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
which Mosfet R/R did you use?
what voltage guage are you using? Have double verified the gauge with a DVM?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered Badass

The meter is from Kuryakyn. It's been good to me over the years.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/872/LED-Battery-Gauge

The R/R is from http://roadstercycle.com

I have double checked with a DVM but not while the issue was actually happening. But this happened twice, once on the way to a location 25 miles away. And again on the way back. Once I got it home I checked all the wiring and voltages and things seemed normal again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
what wire is the volt gauge wired to? this will also affect weather it reads correct or not.

In a stock system, it should be wired to the brown wire. With the Shindegen R/R you should be running a relay hot off the r/r battery wire, grounded out to the r/r ground, and triggered off of the said brown wire. (I assume all MOSFET R/Rs wire the same.. but not sure.)

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 04-02-2012 at 05:10 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered Badass

It's been many years since I wired the gauge. It's connected to a switched power source in the instrument cluster but exactly where I can't recall. It's grounded to the frame. It has never given me inaccurate readings since I've installed it.

As for the digital meter (or an analog I used from time to time), I usually check it right at the battery.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
if you wired it a long time ago.. you wired it to the brown wire.. brown wire used to tie into the r/r through the junction box... the stock r/r used this wire to sense the load placed on the electrical system but now it doesn't.. like I said with a MOSFET R/R the volt gauge needs to go directly to the battery.
the red wire in the diagram can be the accessory lead in the head light bucket since it ties directly to the battery inside the JB.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Captive New Yorker....

Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
I sent my stator to Tim Parrett, and had it rewound. Does this mean I still have a "stock" stator? Would that effect the wiring of the voltage gage?

I really need to get a gage installed so I'm never stranded again...

Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterherrm View Post
I sent my stator to Tim Parrett, and had it rewound. Does this mean I still have a "stock" stator? Would that effect the wiring of the voltage gage?

I really need to get a gage installed so I'm never stranded again...
even if Tim wound your stator for more output, it wires into the charging system with out any additional mods, the only time the volt gauge needs to be wired differently is when you remove the brown wire from the voltage regulator as with a MOSFET R/R upgrade.

a cheap and good Voltage Gauge that many of us are using can be had at tractor supply for under 20 bucks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
New MF battery, Stator, MOSFET R/R, Iridium Spark Plugs, LED Tail Lights, and a used Ninja Junction Box..

I'm now seeing amazing charging performance. I'm getting 14.5V at idle and it never seems to go over 15V when reving in the driveway.

However, after freeway riding for awhile (about 20 miles) my LED battery meter shows no more charging is taking place. It seems to stay at 12.8 or so volts. Restarting the bike seems to return things to normal.

I checked the battery terminals and they're snug (most of that wiring is new and pretty). Stator wires are also new and don't appear to be shorting out.

What I'm wondering is if the MOSFET R/R or even the battery itself has some kind of over-charging protection that is kicking in. I would suspect the new R/R would have some kind of feature like this but I can't find any documentation on it.

At the end of the day the battery is getting charged fine. But I want to be sure this is normal behavior.
could it be your battery is reaching full charge and the system senses it and when you shut it off and crank the bike it starts charging again because the battery was discharged some?Is it doing any thing else odd?Running differently,missing or whatever and since it has been several years since you installed it it could be the gauge itself,

I would do like Slim suggested and check it against another gauge,before I worried about he system much more

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement