Turn Signal Issue. Shorted Wire? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Turn Signal Issue. Shorted Wire?

Ok, here's the skivy, My rear, left turn signal is not operational. The bulb is fine. I swapped it to to the other side to test as it passed a visual inspection. I then checked the voltage on the wires. It's reading about 3 volts as to where the right side which works is reading 12 volts.

What I know, I found an exposed section of wire which I'm guessing caused a short. No fuses are blown. It is getting some voltage. Where do I need to look next to make this operational?

Can I simply tap into the front turn signal feed & run new wire to the rear? I'm guessing this is essentially how the wire harness is anyway?

Looking for thoughts here. In the mean time, I'm going to try & desipher the wiring diagram. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Ok, peeked at the schematic for the wiring & looks like this should be a fix to tap into the front feed.
I am still curious what's going on with the dropped voltage.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Did you try checking the hot wire with another ground? (like the frame)

I wouldn't just bypass the bad wires with new ones without solving the cause.....as the wires will still be there possibly shorting your system.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
That's why I'm fishing for ideas. It's getting partial power. Do we think it could be still shorted somewhere?

And, if I do replace the wiring, I'll be cutting out the old to hopefully eliminate where ever the issu was/is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I assume you unplugged the turn signal and put your meter across the two wires. I'm not the best at electrical stuff, but my understanding is if you get 3 volts out of a 12 volt system the only way that can haopen is if there is some kind of resistance on the wires. And as you did not wire in any resistors, somewhere along the wires you are losing the power...a pinched or crushed wire or wires can work like a resistor.

If you check the hot lead against another ground, it MIGHT tell you which wire is bad. That is if you get 12 volts with another ground, the signals ground is bad. You could just run another ground wire. But....If you still get 3 volts, the hot (+) lead is bad....and needs to be found and fixed as it will always be shorting voltage when on.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Garage
I agree with KM...lower voltage means larger resistance somewhere. If you are testing the voltage at the connection of the bulb, then it is possible that the contacts are dirty. if there is enough resistance somewhere along the wire to drop 9 volts, I would assume something is getting warm somewhere.

Under the seat you will see the wiring for rear lights on a large connector. I think the turn signal lights are on separate bullet type connectors(thin long ones).

I would start by checking the voltage at the bullet connectors and comparing them to the socket of the bulb when connected. You can also use an ohmmeter and check the wiring to see if there are any wires that show more resistance than others. Corrosion in connections and sockets will add resistance.
The ground for the lights should be dead zero resistance to the frame and battery negative.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
I'll look into it tonight if I get home in time. Bro N Law needs help putting a grill together. lol

I'll admit I was checking things kind of quickly last night & I didn't think to ohm test the wires.

Thanks Guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement