Need help figuring out electrical issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Need help figuring out electrical issue

Synopsis leading up to this:

March of last year, I blew up my engine. October of last year I found a crashed 750 on Craigslist. The front end was mangled, but the engine appeared intact and undamaged. Pulled it, put it in my bike.

So I got everything connected, but the bike won't start. The starter won't turn, and even the solenoid won't click like it's trying to start. The only things electrical I have not reconnected are the turn signals (replacing them). I just wanted to make sure the engine will start and run before I connect everything else. When I turn the key on, I have power to the dash. The tail light comes on. The horn works. But when I press the starter button, nothing happens (yes, I have the rocker to "run").

Any thoughts on what's going on? Could it be that I need to connect the turn signals? I've already replaced the starter solenoid (had one from the crashed bike) but no dice. Could the starter itself be bad? The fuses all look to be intact. I cannot find anything else that is not connected, and the bike started fine until the engine blew.

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

First try jumping the terminals on the relay (I call it a relay, to me a solenoid is something mounted on the starter itself) and see if that does anything. If the starter turns, then the problem is either in the relay itself, or it is not getting power from the starter button. you can check at the relay to see if you have voltage to the small wires (that go to the relay coil) when you push the button. If you have tried two relays, and neither one of them even click, and you are sure the battery is good, and fully charged, you are probably not getting power TO the relay to trip it.

If you do jump the relay terminals, and still nothing happens, then you have a problem with the starter, because by jumping the relay, you are sending current directly to the starter motor. Be careful, the starter draws a lot of current, and if it is shorted or locked, wires will get hot in a hurry. Remove the jumper quickly.

If it should happen to be the starter, do you have the starter from the old engine?

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Your safety circuits may be keeping your starter relay in the jb from pulling in.
Plug in your transmission safety switch, and place the bike in neutral. -or-
Take a wire or jumper, and provide batt (-) to pin 12 of the jb 10-pin connector. It will usually have a wire that is yellow with a green stripe.

~~C8>

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
First try jumping the terminals on the relay (I call it a relay, to me a solenoid is something mounted on the starter itself) and see if that does anything. If the starter turns, then the problem is either in the relay itself, or it is not getting power from the starter button.
Jumped the relay, and in addition to a giant spark (scared the crap outta me!) I did hear the starter turn over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCraggRatt View Post
Your safety circuits may be keeping your starter relay in the jb from pulling in.
Take a wire or jumper, and provide batt (-) to pin 12 of the jb 10-pin connector. It will usually have a wire that is yellow with a green stripe.

~~C8>
Bike is in neutral already. Tried pulling in the clutch, no change.

* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *

Last edited by DaveT319; 03-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
By jumping the relay and geting a starter to engage meens that your wiring from the bat to the solonoid is good, and to teh starter is good. you may have a issue from the swithc to the relay.
Do you hav a test light, if so hook it up to the small wire on the relay(solonoid) and see if you get power when you hit the starter button. if not trace teh wire back to teh button and check if yout outpuit is good, then check your inpuit to the switch.
Make sure your switch has power to send.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCraggRatt View Post
~~C8>
I would like to clerify that this wire color is from the manual and the Clymer's. When I look at pin 12 of the 10 pin connector on the jb of my '91, it is a black wire.

After you try to start it with the start button, does the headlight come on and stay on?
If it does, then you are getting power back from the start button to the jb.

~~C8>

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 03-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
How does a 10-pin connector have a pin 12?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was just being silly, but I see they start numbering with the 8-pin and continue it to the 10-pin

Last edited by DaveT319; 03-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
How does a 10-pin connector have a pin 12?
OOoooooooo....good question!!!!!

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Let's Ride!!

Garage
Turns out it was something in the hockey puck - or rather, the wiring from the hockey puck - that had gone bad. Had the one from the salvage '05 750, replaced it, and....

SHE'S ALIVE!!!

A little over a year after I blew her up, MY Vulcan is back baby! Just need a couple air filters and I'll be all set.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sweet, glad to hear you got her purring again.. or should I say Roaring!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement