Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
The stator rebuild

Well as of today when i filled my jeep up and hit $50 mark, i decided it was time to finally tackle this beast. I hope to make this a step by step guide how to rewind your stator with better matterials, meaning that it 'should' last longer.

Initially i was going to test out several different methods to boost power output, but i need the stator now!! For this one i will stick to the basics. The remainder variations will come when i have time.

On this stator (which i got from Bumpy form the Y! forum, Thanks )there are 30 turns per pole with about 6 ft on each pole, all in a clock wise direction. Wire gauge appears to have been 18 gauge. It was very poorly epoxied, and that seems to be the cause of the failure. removing the wire gave a quick challenge. Here are the steps.

Tools:
A knife (dull but with a good point) or a chisle
needle nose pliers
pen and paper (to take notes so you dont forget)
gloves (the epoxy can be rather sharp when comming off)
a permanet marker
saftey googles
Toaster oven (this will be something u wont use to cook food in.

1) you will need to clean this thing very good. Use mild soap, warm water and a brush to get all the oil and debris off.
2) dry very well. you may want to put it in the toaster at 150 for 30-40 mins to dry it up.
3) mark your first pole. this should be the first one that you unwind. TAKE NOTICE HOW ITS WOUND as the wires will overlap causing issues durring this part. Pole 1 should have the end of the wire feeding over the outer part of the pole, not the inner.
4) cut off the yellow wires leaving 1/2" of wire left. same should be done with the other dohicky where all the wires connect.
5) set the toaster to 350 degrees and bake for an hour or 2. it will smolder, but not catch fire. this is to make the epoxy brittle by 'glassing' it.
6) after the heat cycle, let it cool. then take your chisle or knife and gently crack and remove as much of the epoxy as possiable from the sides of the coils. this makes unwinding eaiser. if need be take the pliers and crack it like a nut and pull some off it off.
7) take your pliers and gently pull the wire to unwind it. this may take some muscle, but be careful not to snap the wire. repeat for each coil. I found its easiest to continue with the same wire untill done (every 3rd pole)
8) wash when done.
9) rebake it at 150 30-40 mins to dry it out.

The rewind will come soon when i get parts. :P

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

Last edited by Hizzo3; 09-26-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Man I hope you are taking the occasional photo of this. It's hard to imagine it since I've never been in there... nock on wood!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Once Banned

I tried winding an inductor once - by hand. It's not as easy as you think. Or, at least it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

well i forgot to take photos of the unwinding. I will take them when i unwind the stator that is in my bike now. but i will take them as i go along and wind it.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Hizzo, if you get weary of winding and photographing, I bought a stator on eBay two weeks ago and it turns out that my stator didn't die when my r/r did. So it's just sitting here, waiting to go back on eBay. It's an '86, which I think Dianna said is one of the better "years" for these. It'll be here if you holler "uncle!"

C
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Ordered the wire.... I ordered 18 gauge Polyester/polyamideimide made by essex. stuff is good for up to 220 deg C wich is over 400 degrees F (your engine should seize above 300 degrees F). Just to give you an idea, the insulation should last 20,000 hours at 200 deg C (taken from their data sheets, these are always inflated). This means at 19.7 miles an hour (the number taken from my g/f's bravada's avg speed), this stuff should last 400k miles!!! well even if it last a 1/8th of that, that is 50K miles...
anyway i got 160 feet of this stuff($14.40), and i also got 10 feet of some teflon insulated 14 AWG stranded wire which is good up to 200 deg C as well ($6.80) to replace those nasty yellow wires. shipping should be around $5 (they havent pulled the order yet).
Hummm....$26.20 for the wire...not bad... now i need the epoxy. The one i wanted is sold in packs of 10. and at $6 a pack that is a bit much. gonna see if i can hunt down someone who sells this stuff individually. Sofar looks like the stator can be wound for less then $50. I will also need a toaster oven to cure the epoxy (your significant other would kill you if you did this in your good oven as this can leave chemicals behind altering tastes of food), but that is what garage sales are for

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Once Banned

Funny you should say that, 'cause I got home to hear the story of how my wife is going to check the oven from now on, before she turns it on. My daughter layed a thick plastic straw on the top rack, and all that was left was a little residue on the rack, and a bunch of hardened plastic puddles on the bottom. Oh, and the smell of plastic.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

well, here is an update. I got the wire in. got it from Surplus Sales Of Nebraska. I ordered it on the 4th, got here on the 10th. for over a weekend cant complain. That teflon wire is some tuff stuff. Kinda wishing i went a tad thicker (went 14, should have gone with 10). Whole well, this is a learning experiance this go round. I will try a local electrical store and see what they have. The magnet wire is awesome. It took a few passes with a sharp knife to remove the coating.

Now for the bad news. The stuff i ordered from Cotronics, well seems to be forgotten, or well i have been. I sent them an email not long ago, so i will find out whats up.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Once Banned

What about the big battery. How has that turned out?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM

Nothing I hate worse than doing an online order and getting no email confirmations, no news, no shipping notification, nothing. I hate ordering from BikeBandit just cause they take two or three days just to go pull the order and pack it up. I didn't order my saddlebags from them because of that. The guy on the phone says, "you can pay for overnight shipping." I asked, does that mean it will go out today? He says "no, it still takes 1-3 days to process the order." I said, why the heck would I pay overnight shipping if you aren't shipping it for three days? Ordered them from MotoLeather cause the guy said "you'll have them on Friday (two days), no extra charge for shipping, which ended up being less than $7.

I don't know, I figure if you order it online, they should ship it the same day or the next day if it's late.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement