Testing Igniter / Resistance Testing - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Testing Igniter / Resistance Testing

I'm working on a 1989 vn750 that was given to me. It was not taken care of and I'm discovering many electrical problems. As it is obvious from the amount of acid corrosion all over the battery box area and in most of the electrical connectors surrounding, I imagine the bike was dumped and battery acid got all over in that area. As I have discovered, there is no spark to the rear cylinder and after reading many other threads in this forum I knew that I had to at least rule out the Igniter as well as many other components. Also, the previous owner had taken it to a local Kawasaki shop where he was told by a tech that he suspected the Igniter was bad. So I just wanted whoever might be reading this to know what happened when I tried to use a regular digital multi-meter to test the Ingiter. As I took the readings they were not even close to the factory specs in the service manual. At first I had an Ah-ha! moment. But the readings were just so out of whack I knew I must investigate further. Of course there is a note in the service manual saying that you must use the "Kawasaki Hand Tester". Upon further investigation I realized this was just an old-time analog ohm meter. So I unpacked my father's old multi-meter and got it going again and re-tested. Wa-la! All the readings were in spec! So I cannot emphasis enough NOT to use your Sears or Home Depot meter. There are digital multi-meters out there that can apparently test accurately enough but they are pricey. If you have a decent old-timey it will work good. I will update this post when I learn why I'm not getting spark to my rear cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the forum, you have said that there is a lot of electrical problems, i,e battery acid all over the connections, may be the regulator has gone and boiled the battery acid so would check thr R/R for sure needs a very good battery to run these bikes no spark could be bad plug try iridiums and make sure all the plugs where the acid dripped are not shorting out, just for starters
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here are the six pin connectors if your is eaten up by acid. Mine was. http://www.electrosport.com/accessor...r-set-1-4.html

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement