Autolite Iridium Plugs on Sale - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Autolite Iridium Plugs on Sale

Advance Auto has Autolite iridium plugs on sale for $4.99 after rebate. Visit http://advanceautoparts.com/rebate for details

Also have $2 off Bosch iridium plugs.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Advance Auto has Autolite iridium plugs on sale for $4.99 after rebate. Visit http://advanceautoparts.com/rebate for details

Also have $2 off Bosch iridium plugs.
You know, over the last 30+ years I've never used any other spark plug brand than NGK's. I do know Champion plugs suck, but I think the only other brand I had any contact with was an Autolite plug in the used lawnmower I had.

Is anyone here running anything other than NGK plugs in their bike??

Curious,
Knifemaker

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Mine has Denso i believe. I think Im gunna put NGK's in this spring.

1986 Vn750
18,800 miles, and counting
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
B-stone S11 RWL-stock sizes
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
13,100 miles, and counting
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM

I only use NGK plugs in all my toys. Always had good luck with them.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

I have Autolite (a.k.a. lawn mower)plugs in mine- all I could find in an emergency after I dropped my stock ones with 35,000 miles o onto the concrete. Now that I have NGKs (not iridium) ready to put in, I have no reason to, as the current plugs are working fine. People take spark plugs way too seriously.

And here's the flame starter (so to speak):

Platinum and Iridium plugs require a lower voltage to spark, so in stressed ignition systems (weak or failing coils or wires, turbocharging, very high rpms) specialty plugs can increase performance. Without paying attention to the plug gap in your application, however, using specialty plugs can reduce performance with a "cooler" spark. Denso has marketed their way out of this by claiming that the U-channel on the electrode creates a fireball that improves performance, but the test cases noted on their website can be explaned by weakness in the ignition systems tested.

The primary benefit of platinum and iridium plugs is in engines with reduced spark plug access- they don't have to be changed as often-- center electrodes are more robust, being specialty metals. Other than this benefit, it would require multiple iterations of standard steel, platinum, and iridium plugs with varing gaps and a high-performance ignition system to be run on a dyno to optimize a particular plug's gap for a given ignition system. The highest power spark is obtained with an old-school steel spark plug and an upgraded ignition system (coil and associated wiring in our case.)

To sum it all up- if you see a performance gain by just swapping in platinum or iridium plugs, then you are correcting a misfire (failure to spark) at high RPMs, which is fine, but my VN750 doesn't have an ignition system issue.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
^ bullshiit. If the plug creates a hotter spark in a weak system, it will produce a even hotter spark in a less weak system.

The Vulcans coil output is already weak compared to "high performance" systems.... Thus ANYTHING that makes a better spark is good. My bike didn't miss at higher rpms, with regular plugs or iridiums. But it did start easier and faster with iridiums.

Your post leaves out simple laws if physics. A charge between two metal posts will spark hotter if you decrease the size of the posts themselves... If you make the electrodes on a spark plug smaller you run the risk of them eroding (read as melting) faster. But if the metal you use has a melting point higher than the heat caused from the spark, you get the hotter spark without that problem.

This is the one and only reason iridium plugs are better. Their smaller center electrode creates a hotter spark (over the same distance). The "iridium" used has a real high melting point, so the tip if the electrode doesn't erode as fast.

So you get a hotter spark and a longer lasting - more consistent plug. And that in any engine is usually a good thing.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Ok I'll try to keep this simple, but short may be asking too much. I HAVE used iridium plugs in my Vulcan, they were in there about 15,000 miles. I got them to try and improve hot starting, as there was nothing else wrong. I COULD NOT TELL THE LEAST BIT OF DIFFERENCE in any way. net plug change I went back to the cheaper NGKs. It still sometimes has hard start problems. I now believe this to be more in the fuel system. The NGK plugs give a nice big fat blue spark while the engine is being turned over by the starter.

While we all know the Vulcan has a weak CHARGING system, I have seen nothing to indicate it has a weak ignition system. Mine sure doesn't. Plus, it has FOUR plugs. I never understood why, but it does run better with 4 than 2. I suspect the reason for that is plug placement. None of the 4 plugs are placed in the right position for use as single plugs.

In short, I've been hearing about the iridium plugs for years now, tried them, and found no difference except for what they cost. Seafoam on the other hand..........

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Please get your facts straight before calling bull****. There is more energy (heat) in a spark from a spark plug that has a higher arc over voltage. Smaller, thin-wire cathodes of platinum and iridium plugs will arc-over at a lower voltage. If you are more of an applied-science person, then there are dyno runs posted online comparing different plugs and ignition systems. If your bike runs better with $12 spark plugs, that's great, but it indcates a breakdown somewhere in your ignition system, or a faulty factory design.

If you buy the U-groove argument from Denso, well, you don't need platinum to make groove in your electrode.

Here is a link to a random post with some anecdotal statements.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-...parkplugs.html
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Talking

Also read this at the link you gave:

"I have used Platinum or Iridium plugs on all my bikes for the past 5 years now and will not use standard again. I find that on changing to either platimum or Iridium the bike immediately feels much snappier in it's throttle response.

As far as the plug gap goes, I thought all plugs were supplied pre-gapped these days. Maybe it's a case of being blissfully ignorant, but my bikes run really well using the as-supplied gap on NGK Iridium plugs now so I shan't go back to conventional."

I can agree that the smaller electrode might spark with a
Lower voltage, but the coil output is the same regardless of the plug. The reason there's a spark at all is because of amount of excess electrons present. If this is say 10,000 volts, you have X number of electrons jumping the gap. They dont care what size the electrode is, they just want to jump. A smaller electrode will force the to jump closer together, making a hotter spark. Granted, it may be "smaller" in size, but my issue was with you saying it would be "colder"....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
Please get your facts straight before calling bull****. There is more energy (heat) in a spark from a spark plug that has a higher arc over voltage. Smaller, thin-wire cathodes of platinum and iridium plugs will arc-over at a lower voltage. If you are more of an applied-science person, then there are dyno runs posted online comparing different plugs and ignition systems. If your bike runs better with $12 spark plugs, that's great, but it indcates a breakdown somewhere in your ignition system, or a faulty factory design.

If you buy the U-groove argument from Denso, well, you don't need platinum to make groove in your electrode.

Here is a link to a random post with some anecdotal statements.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-...parkplugs.html
I'm keeping my Iridiums because I know the bike runs better. Your link also states his bike ran better. Also in your link the problems with the Iridiums were because the owners used the wrong gap, as stated in the link. The link says to gap Iridiums at .035 minimum. The spec for the VN750 is .036 gap, again agreeing with your link for best performance.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done