Dead Battery...stator? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Dead Battery...stator?

Don't laugh if I sound like i don't know what i'm doing or hate me for bringing up an old issue but my 92vn750 Fully charged battery will die after i ride for 20 miles or so. Im doing all the work to it myself and dont know alot about it and am wondering if my issue is the "STATOR"? i saw the mod to change it out and don't really want to but if thats what i gotta do to ride im doing it.....Please let me know and thanks in advance for your help...Jr. in BAMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Again dont laugh....i was just reading about the R/R....is that my problem? damn...i just want this thing to run good....im not givin up...i can give more info on what it's doin if yall need it.....Please help..maybye its something cheep and easy...yea right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
sporty31,
At the very top left of this page, next to the front wheel of the VN750 graphic, there is a google search box. Type in "Stator Testing" and do the search. You will get hits on testing the stator. Do the same for R/R Testing. Be sure and get the downloadable manual from this link:
Check Kanucks thread for a downloadable service manual:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17667

After doing a bit of research, if you still have questions, I'm sure you can get additional help.

~~C8> Ratt
Will Do: MOSFET, Horns, Shave(maybe)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Drive less, ride more...

This should help, too:

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...-finding-guide

Where in Alabama are you located?

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I have a stator test in my signature too. You'll have to do alittle checking to determine where your issue is. The simplest & easiest thing you can check is, start your bike & check the voltage on your battery. If it's below 12.5 or dropping as you run the bike your definitly having a charging issue.

Do some reading & go thru the steps to check it out. If you don't have a voltage meter, any testing will be dificult to impossible. Hang in there, it will get sorted out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

First thing, I would inspect the R/R connector and the wires going to it. The 3yellow wires come from the stator. If you follow those wires you will come to the bullet connectors, make sure they look good and are connected securely. check the ground connections one should be on the engine case the other next to the battery on the left aft side, goes from the battery to the chassis.

If all is well heres is what you can do. Have a good charged battery, remove the seat so you can access the battery. Start the bike and check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. With the RPMS up to about 3000 you should have 13-14 VDC maybe a bit higher. If the voltage is 15 or higher you more then likely have a bad R/R. If the voltage is about 12 and seems to drop slowly then you need to check the stator.
Theres 2 things you can do to check the stator. 1) Check continuity of the stator wires to ground. 2) Check the continuity of the stator wires to each other.
1). Remove the R/R connector check each of the yellow wires to ground. You should not have any continuity at all.
2). To check each wire together, mentally number the wires 1,2 &3. Check continuity from 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 you should have 1-3 Ohms of resistance.

If the reading are not correct I would disconnect the yellow wires at the bullet connectors and check them there, more then likely you will have the same readings (this will eliminate a section of the wire harness to be the fault).
If you have to replace the stator you DO NOT have to do the engine case mod. However the engine would have to be removed from the bike or some people tilt the motor enough to get the cover off. When I had to replace my stator I removed the engine completely.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks All

THANKS ALL for all the info. I will defeat this issue and ride on. Just tough when you don't know crap about it. This site and you guys that respond are awsome by the way. Now if I can just get one of you to come fix it...Just kiddin..i will prevail.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Phenix city...close to Auburn...WAR EAGLE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty31 View Post
Phenix city...close to Auburn...WAR EAGLE
Further north in Alabama myself. I had chicken for supper. ROLL TIDE. Good luck on the bike.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks man. The state of Alabama has had the best College football teams for 3 years in a row...im good with that! Ramma Jamma! Weegle Weegle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement