Optronics QH-87CD from WalMart with LED's - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Optronics QH-87CD from WalMart with LED's

I was considering getting this set of driving lights and outfitting them with LED bulbs.

The MR-16 bulb (base gu5.3) that comes with the optonics lights is a halogen bulb 55W (approx 850 lumens, 4.5A). I believe the beam angle is about 36 degrees and is considered a wide flood lamp. I know some of you have swapped out the bulbs for 20Watt bulbs which draws 1.66A and provides about 240 lumens.

I think the most common high wattage LED setup for this type of bulb is about 5Watts, drawing 0.42A at 12V. The beam angle would be about 30 degrees with an output of 300 lumens. I am not sure if the LED bulb would actually fit due to the size and height of some of the LED configurations I have seen.

I wanted to add more lights to see off the sides at night where critters tend to lurk, without taxing the charging system of the VN750.

I am just curious if anyone has tried this and were they satisfied with the output of the LED bulbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is a link to Gemguys install of his Optronics lights:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ight=optronics

Nothing here really about LED bulbs though.
Hope it helps.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
As many know I not only used the Optronic halogen lights on my bike, but sold them along with my "light bar". ( see "driving lights" in my photo link below)

I used the 20w bulbs. Back then LED lights were just coming out, no direct replacement bulb for the M16 existed. Today, I'd have to see the two bulbs side by side to make a comparison. Keep in mind that alot of how the light works is not just the bulb, but the reflector.

I did when traveling at night swing the right side light to shine on the right off the road side. It did help. My thinking now would be to not be so traditional in keeping the lighting symmetrical.....I think I'd mount ONE 55w light right under the headlight with the ability to point it slightly to the right.

Ideally... I'd build a three light bar. With two 20w like my original bar, but with another light next to the right one. Wired so you could only have either both 20w on OR just the right 55w one with a three way toggle.

So depending on the conditions I could choose which to turn on. I guess I'd only go with LED's if I had that chance to compare them.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Ndr

I've been running the optronics on my Rebel with the 55w bulb in them for the past 3 years. I haven't had any issues with the lare current draw on the rebel, but then, I only turned the lights on while driving at night.

I picked up a new set to mount on the Vulcan, however I picked up a pack of 12 of the 20w bulbs on amazon for $16 shipped. I'll be swapping the 55w on the rebel and also using them on the Vulcan.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
As many know I not only used the Optronic halogen lights on my bike, but sold them along with my "light bar". ( see "driving lights" in my photo link below)

I used the 20w bulbs. Back then LED lights were just coming out, no direct replacement bulb for the M16 existed. Today, I'd have to see the two bulbs side by side to make a comparison. Keep in mind that alot of how the light works is not just the bulb, but the reflector.

I did when traveling at night swing the right side light to shine on the right off the road side. It did help. My thinking now would be to not be so traditional in keeping the lighting symmetrical.....I think I'd mount ONE 55w light right under the headlight with the ability to point it slightly to the right.

Ideally... I'd build a three light bar. With two 20w like my original bar, but with another light next to the right one. Wired so you could only have either both 20w on OR just the right 55w one with a three way toggle.

So depending on the conditions I could choose which to turn on. I guess I'd only go with LED's if I had that chance to compare them.

KM

I am still undecided on whether I will mount them on the engine guard I picked up recently, or building the light bar (from Knifemaker's design).
I saw that Walmart has the 20W bulbs, so maybe I will get one and compare it to an LED version side by side at night using a spare battery and some wiring.

Since I have modified my rear turn signal stalks to have running lights and blinkers, I am concerned that the 40Watts I add for driving lights with conventional 20W bulbs might stress the electrical system. I may just go ahead and use LED's in the brake light and rear running light to free up some wattage and go with the 20W halogen bulbs up front, depending on how the LED spot lamps compare. It will have to wait till I have some more cash to get the LED version of the M16 bulb to compare.

I was hoping someone out there did the comparison already so I can decide before I spring for the LED spot light bulbs.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Having destroyed the generator on my EN500, I was sensitive to not overloading my VN750. I did swap out the bulbs on my Optronics lights for 20W halogens but if I remember correctly I bought the 15 degree reflectors feeling they would be more functional by concentrating the light in a narrower beam.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Ndr

On paper, these seem to be a good idea. About the light output of a 40w bulb using only 5w of power...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...MR16-x4W-x.htm

opinions?

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
On paper, these seem to be a good idea. About the light output of a 40w bulb using only 5w of power...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...MR16-x4W-x.htm

opinions?
Since I didn't pick up the Optronics light kit yet. I am not sure how much room is in the housing. The problem with buying stuff online is that I have no idea what the actual dimensions of that bulb is. It looks longer from base to tip of reflector then the standard bulb. It would be nice if they listed dimensions to be sure it would fit.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have some reservations about the LED lights in this application. I have noticed from a flashlight that I have which has LEDs that they are very bright to look at but do not "throw" a beam like a conventional light. The LEDs don't seem to reflect as well as incandescent or halogen bulbs. Just my observation

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
Since I didn't pick up the Optronics light kit yet. I am not sure how much room is in the housing. The problem with buying stuff online is that I have no idea what the actual dimensions of that bulb is. It looks longer from base to tip of reflector then the standard bulb. It would be nice if they listed dimensions to be sure it would fit.
This would be my concern also. If I remember right, the 20w bulbs I used required me to alter the base of the light socket in the housing so the light fit well.

The front bezel on the light housing sort if screws on, and the 20w lights I bought were for some reason longer than the stock 55w bulbs.(I used the "spot" light which I think made them slightly longer) The receptacle for the light in the housing had a small round piece of rubber at the back with two holes for the wires to go through.

I cut this off, leaving only enough of the rubber to keep the wires separated. I then put a large glob of clear silicon sealant over the remaining rubber and reassembled the light using the new bulb. This had the added advantage of making the light unit more waterproof, as the wires just exited the back of the light through a hole.

So, by doing something simular, it might be possible to use a bulb that's slightly longer. And by slightly I mean less than 3/16 of an inch....anything longer and I do not think you'd be able to close the housing.

It should also be mentioned these light bulbs have glass covers over the bulbs. Some simular bulbs I have seen don't, and can't be used for that reason alone.

So, I guess we need someone to buy one of these LED lights and let us know if it fits in the light housing. My guess based on the halogen lights is that the narrower beam (spot) would be longer than the wider beam (flood) light.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 02-11-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement