Hi all! As I posted a few days ago, I had trouble with my carbs. Took 'em off and worked on them and they were finally good to go, but when I put them in, the following happened:
Turned the key to ON, everything powered up as it should, pressed the start button and it acted like the starter was stuck. This happened before and it was a short in the wiring.
Tried it again and once more and it fired up finally. After having it idle a little while I turned it off to see if it would start back up and it did. Did it once more to be sure and then I left it idling a little while to check if the RPMs wouldn't go down as they did before.
RPMs were steady and it revved up great.
After a little while though I started seeing smoke coming out from the left panel, where the fuses go. I shut the bike off immediately and then took off the panel.
Smoke was from the cables that go to the regulator. The regulator itself was quite hot and the cables had melted.
So here's what I'd like to ask you. Is this common when a regulator goes out? Does this seem more like a short elsewhere on the wiring diagram that caused this behavior?
Trying to find out cause I don't want to plug in another R/R just to fry it too.
Also, I could search this up in the verses, but since you're already here... How do I know for sure if the regulator is fried or if it's still working right?
I definitely got my eye on the mosfet R/R now.
1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps