Using Electric gear on the 750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Using Electric gear on the 750?

Ok, back for some advice/answers from all of you VN750 gurus...
(please excuse my near total non-electicity knowledge )

Last week, I rode my bike about 60 miles, most of the time with my heated jacket on low, only on medium for a few minutes, and not on high at all. When we got to our PGR mission site, I parked the bike and was gone from it for about an hour and a half.

When we got ready to leave for home, my bike's battery was dead. We got it started between a push, the clutch and a steep downward slope...and rode it about two miles in 2nd gear with the voltmeter showing a charge the whole time. We had some lunch, and when we headed for home, the bike started right up.

My friend who is the bike mechanic was along with us, and suspected the heated jacket was the problem. The bike went to his shop, and yesterday he checked out the entire electrical system according to the great instruction in the Verses here (he is ever so grateful for all the info there!!) and the whole system seemed to be working as it should. The tests on the R/R and stator showed no problems at all. We added jacket and when the bike was idling, after a couple minutes, the jacket was taking the charge down to near negative, but no problem at all with a power drain when revved to over about 2200-2500 rpms.

He also moved the R/R to the left side near the peg, as shown in one of the verses posts. He also changed the wiring harness for the jacket to one with a rheostat controlled temp control instead of the one that was in before (which had continuous problems), and he also put in a relay.

We're thinking that so long as I turn the jacket off or down when traveling at slow speeds, it should be ok. Can anyone provide me with insight here?

And one more question along this line...is it possible that I could run both heated grips and my heated jacket at the same time, even at highway speeds? (Almost the only time when heated gear is needed in this part of the country is at highway speeds over relatively long distances.)

We both send Thanks for any help you send this way!

WillRose
Standing Proud WA State Patriot Guard Rider
'94 Vulcan 750 & '06 Burgman 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I know it may be cold but, try riding without the jacket,as said had contionus prob's, may have answered your own ? Sometimes simple is the best cure..

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
I know it may be cold but, try riding without the jacket,as said had contionus prob's, may have answered your own ? Sometimes simple is the best cure..
Sorry, but I guess I wasn't clear. The continuous problem has been with the controller on my jacket, but on my two other bikes. The other day was the first time I've used the heated jacket on the Vulcan. That's why I've changed the type of controller I'm using on the Vulcan, after "blowing out" the electronics on five of the original style controllers for my particular manufacturer's jacket on both of my other bikes. I know it's been a controller issue, since several of my fellow riders have had the same problem, and my dealer has even discontinued carrying that company's jackets.)

And I'm old and also a sissy, and don't want to ride a bike that can't handle at least a heated jacket. It's one of those things that I'm not willing to give up, now that I've enjoyed being so comfortable when I ride.

WillRose

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
No not old, wiser-not sissy --wiser lol-- being from a service tec back ground it would appear the heated jacket might be the culprit. Maybe a buddy may can lend you a different one to ck out and see what happens.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

According to several veterans here on the forum, including knifemaker, the vn750 only has about 70 watts of extra capapcity in stock form.
A heated jacket may be too much for the vn electrical system.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, darn, Gordon!
I might need to look for a different bike then! : ((
I'd rather give up my bike than my heated gear!

WillRose
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I thought I lost the previous post, so let me finish it here.
In my limited knowledge of electrical theory 70 watts in a 12 volt system is about 5 amps of current.
volts X amps = watts, therefore watts/volts = amps
ie. 70 watts divided by 14 volts (nominal 12) = 5 amps
The jacket may draw too much power for this bike.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
get you a wing to ride in the winter and keep the vulcan to rip around on in the warmer months. I think if I had a goldwing I would still be riding, with some heated gear and the full fairing!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Drive less, ride more...

To answer your question more intelligently, you really need to tell us what your heated jacket draws for power (i.e., in watts).

Also--this post you've created shows me that you desparately need to install a voltmeter to your bike's electrical system, to monitor the status of said system.

After you install this voltmeter, you can be sure that your electrical system can (or can't) handle the load of your heated jacket.

Your mechanic friend is right--the Vulcan's charging system probably won't handle the additional load of the jacket at lower speeds (i.e., say below 2,500 rpm).

Whenever the voltmeter drops below a reading of 12.9 volts, the bike's battery is no longer getting a real charge. So then you know when the jacket is pulling too much of a load, for a given speed.

Others here have calculated that the wattage "headroom" on this bike is about 70 watts. My bike is apparently doing better than that, but that's probably only because I have replaced all the regular bulbs with LEDs (except of course for the headlamp).

Hope this helps....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to you, too!

The company says about the jacket: 64.8 Watts, 5.4 Amps.

Yes, I already have a voltmeter installed, and I try to keep aware. Being new to the Vulcan, I think that when we were at the end of our ride the other day, I hadn't been looking at it as often as I should have as I was concerned with being in a large group of riders for the first time on this bike, needing to handle a clutch (having ridden a twist-n-go maxi-scooter for several years). Of course, after the dead battery problem, I think I probably stared at the voltmeter most of the 60 miles home!

WillRose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement