Alternate location for rectifier - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Alternate location for rectifier

Thought I would throw this out there for those of you that are looking to relocate your rectifier. Having my engine out, I thought this would be a good time to do this. I decided to move mine to the inside surface of the L. side cover. I don't have any pictures but I'm sure you can picture it. Theres plenty of room and it keeps it out of sight and the weather. I used two 1 1/4" S.S. bolts along with two S.S.nuts, lock washers and two S.S. flat washers for the outside surface of the case. I used two round, 1/4" thick nylon bushings as spacers between the back of the rectifier and inside surface of the cover. Just use a little caution when drilling the 2 holes in the side cover. Theres plenty of clearance at the top and bottom of the 750 emblem. Although I don't think it was necessary, I ran a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts to the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
We will need photos.

Keep in mind the thing does get hot... so not sure about those nylon spacers...if they are touching the R/R they could melt.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Inside the side cover will not allow much air for cooling to get past the r/r in my opinion.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

I agree w/ OHC, air flow is VERY important...future problems may develope.
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Garage
Considering that is was mounted next to the Goats belly originally I would think this would still be an improvement if you wanted to hide it.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Garage
cudos for the idea.
At least there is someone thinking outside the box. I would also be afraid it might overheat or maybe melt the cover from the inside. I too am looking for an alternate location to hang the original R/R.

I wanted to do the relocation myself, but not so thrilled with it sitting on the left side since it is kinda ugly to begin with. I was looking at the battery box and see that there are a set of unused anchor nuts welded to the back of the battery box facing the rear tire. I wonder if that is a viable location for the R/R? Also curious what was that spot originally intended for?

On the 06, the cross member part of the frame above the goats belly is wide and flat, which I would assume serves as a pretty good heat deflector and insulates the R/R from direct heat off the exhaust system. I am just curious if other years are the same. I am on the fence about replacing the R/R with a Mosfet R/R or possible de-goating. My last option would be to hang the R/R behind the left passenger peg.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I looked at putting the R/R behind the sidecover too. I was going to install a screened vent on the side of the cover to let more air in. I was a bit concerned about having it so close to the plastic cover.

I never did relocate the R/R on my bike....and never really had a problem. It "sounds" like a good idea, but there are hundreds of 750s out there that are running fine with the units in the stock location.

I do remember seeing a photo where a member built a longer wiring harness and put the R/R in the front of the bike above the radiator. Seems like
the best place if you want the most airflow going over it.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-29-2011 at 12:50 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I never relocated either of mine either, and never had a problem. I would be somewhat hesitant about drilling holes in the sidecovers, those things are not cheap, and it will definitely hurt resale value. If you plan to keep the bike till it will run no more, as I do mine, that would not necessarily be a consideration. But also be aware that the sidecover plastic is very brittle, and will crack over time if much stress is placed on it. I had an old sidecover once that I cut a 1" hole in (with a hole saw), put in a rubber grommet, and a chrome oil cap that I had laying around, just for decoration. The cover cracked at 2 places around where I cut the hole. I wouldn't want to drill/cut a nice cover.

The R/R on my '85 Goldwing was getting so hot that it damaged the plastic on the fake gas tank, with over a 2" air gap between the R/R and the plastic.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM

I have the backup shunt type R/R relocated to the left hand side for more air altough I did not need to due to aftermarket pipes and degoat but thought it would be good for it to have more ventilation as it got really hot. Now I just left that one there and put a mosfet one under the battery tray. An improvement over the old R/R, doesnt get hot, not even warm and more steady current all through the rev range.....

89` Vulcan 750 - a.k.a HellRaiser
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Before I gave up and went to a car alternator on my Goldwing, and after removing a bunch of unnecessary junk out from under the fake tank (trip computer, stereo amp, and cruise control) I actually mounted a very small but high powered 12V blower type fan under there and ran a duct directly from it to the R/R. It did work, and brought the R/R temp way down, but I went with the car alternator anyway, for several reasons. The first was reliability. I was afraid the stock stator or R/R would go out hundreds of miles from home, leaving me stranded, it didn't cost much more for the parts than it would have for a new stock R/R, it puts out more power than stock, but ONLY when needed, it is simple, with a one wire connection, it is easy to replace of it fails, replacing the stator requires removing the engine, and perhaps, most of all, it is a major improvement over Honda's STUPID design. It shows that some things CAN be done right. Honda was building cars in '85, and they did not come with shunt type R/Rs, why did their motorcycles? But then again, their cars didn't come with tube type tires either. Things haven't changed much in that area, they are now using electronic fuel injection, but STILL don't have a proper charging system, and perhaps the biggest oxymoron of all, they are putting ABS on bikes with tube type tires.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement