Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Hot Starting problem

Hi guys,

I have been having a problem to restart the bike after a good run. The starter seems to jam and when it tries to turn all I get is a massive back fire that scares the hell out of anyone in the road.....well that`s the cool part about it, for the rest being stranded there in the middle of some road aint for sure..... anyway I was reading on forums here and it was suggested to clean and rebuild the starter. I checked the ebay link suggested to buy th ekit but the Thread was from 2009.... hmmm anyway to cut the long story short I did my own research and found this kit : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906278245...84.m1439.l2649

Anyone has experience with this kit?? maybe some tips (do`s and don`ts) with the installation or is it pretty straight forward.

P.S. I have the NGK iridium plugs, Yuasa MF battery and alot of other goodies on my bike which I have installed thanks to these forums.

Cheers, Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I used that exact kit.. very strait forward procedure. Just fallow the clymer Manual
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SlimVulcan,

At least now I know that someone used the kit and it worked. I will start some maintenance work on my bike after holidays, including full service,the starter refurbishment,carbs cleaning,rejetting and general cleaning too....

Cheers & Happy Festive Season

89` Vulcan 750 - a.k.a HellRaiser

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Calif Rider

Malteser for the hot starting problem, you also need to do the coil pick-up adjustment. You can look it up in the search part at the top of the page, look at coil pick-up adjustment. This will really help the hot starts.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
Malteser for the hot starting problem, you also need to do the coil pick-up adjustment. You can look it up in the search part at the top of the page, look at coil pick-up adjustment. This will really help the hot starts.
Link: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That hot start problem even happens with new bikes. I have had it intermittently for 150,000 miles on 2 Vulcan 750s, a '93 and an '02. On the '02 it got pretty bad around 40,000 miles, and I took the starter apart and cleaned it. It was absolutely filthy, just full of black dust. I used a whole can of contact cleaner on it. I did not replace any parts. It worked a lot better, but IMO it is simply undersized for the VN750 motor. With a fully charged battery, most of my bikes have turned over really fast. The Vulcan (my only v-twin) turns over a lot slower than most bikes, also I doubt it has a good spark at the slow speed it turns over. I have read about all kinds of fixes, but nothing that seems to work for everybody. I have not messed with the coil pickup adjustment.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Hey,
Thanks to all of you for your response, well to tell you the truth I was trying to avoid the pick up coil adjustment, I read about it and it seems easy, but I was kind of worried it might cause more wear and tear on the electrical system apart from being afraid of seized bolts. (I am very good at stripping off old head bolts off apparently, hehe)....well I bought the front stator cover gasket now ...... so there`s no turning back, and the claiming of more power makes it errrm interesting. I did no earshave but I have K&N filters so that should help a little too.....
Thanks again guys,
this forum has a great heart, just like our bikes!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 03:54 AM

I can't say whether the pickup coil adjustment does any good or not, but I do know the tolerances on those things are very tight. You don't want to change it by much.

Not much point in going over this again, since everybody already knows how I feel about it, but I don't like K&N filters. I think they lean out the air/fuel mixture, while at the same time letting more dirt into the engine.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Oh c`mon Jerry, was reading alot about the coil mod and some in here claimed to feel a mentionable difference in power apart from the Hot Start prob....high hopes I had. I also thought its best to use K&N because the foam type air filters that my bike had before were disintegrating into tiny little pieces, and for sure that`s no good to get inside the engine. With proper care they are claimed to last for very long too so the initial price might be worthed. Bike is for road use only, its not a dirt bike so I don`t know now...... all I know now is that: "Jerry you just make me want to cry!!" (joking)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 AM

The pickup coil mod may or may not help. Just like relocating the R/R may or may not help. I don't think it does, and have not relocated mine. Never had one fail either. And the bike starts ok, so I'm not messing with anything, might get it to where it doesn't start at all.

Foam filters do have a life span, how old are yours? They would have to be pretty old to actually fall apart. I used my stock ones for 30,000 miles, cleaned and reoiled once, finally replaced them, just because. They still seemed fine, but I didn't want to take the chance of them having a tiny torn place somewhere. As usual, IMO, K&N filters, if you could even call them that, are junk. Nobody has ever given a good reason for using them, it's alway "well they flow more air, so that must be a good thing right?" or "racers use them, so they must be good for my street vehicle" Racers also use slicks, as they provide more traction "on the track" So next I'll probably be hearing that everyone should use slicks on their cruiser. I mean, more traction must be better, right? On the track yes, on the street, on a street vehicle with street steering and suspension, no.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement