Another LED question...sorry! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another LED question...sorry!

OK...so today I wanted to experiment with some inexpensive LED replacement bulbs I found. I got the Electronic flasher that everyone mentioned is necessary for LED's due to the low current draw that is insufficient to make the thermal flasher work properly....CHECK!

Removed the tail/brake light bulbs with LED bulbs...removed the front driving/signal bulbs and replaced with same type of LED bulb (dual element).

Removed the rear signal (single filament) bulb and replaced with appropriate LED bulb.

All hazard and blinkers work fine
Tail light and brake light work fine

front driving lights in the blinkers do NOT light even after swapping those bulbs with the ones from the tail light. This means in this circuit there must be other bulbs that are causing an imbalance in the loads.

I have gone through every LED thread I could find and found nothing mentioning this scenario other than people use load balancers. I refuse to go that route since it defeats the purpose of using the LED's in the first place.

OK...so I know it is probably the blinker indicator bulb and maybe some of the warning or back lighting bulbs in the instrument cluster that need to also be upgraded to LED's in order to keep the loads balanced on that circuit. Here is what I am trying to find out without having to take the instrument clusters apart first:

What bulbs are used in the back lighting of the instrument cluster and how many?

What bulbs are used for idiot lights (neutral, Signal indicator. headlight..etch) and how many?

also going to change out the license plate bulb so if anyone knows which bulb that is...you will save me the time of pulling that one ahead of ordering replacements. (EDIT: found this to be a 97mini bulb .69A 13.5V G-6 single contact bayonet base)

All I have is the Kawi service manual, and I don't see bulb part numbers listed. For now I left the original bulbs in the front and everything seems to work just fine....but it is still just a half a$$ job in my book. I want to order up all the bulbs and change them all out at one time.

Hopefully someone else has a list of bullbs needed to accomplish a full LED conversion. Thanks ahead of time for the input!

Last edited by kc2dgq; 12-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

See if this thread helps
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t+turn+signals

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM

I replaced my license plate bulb with a car dome light LED that I found on ebay for $1.64 including shipping and the thing came from Hong Kong. Came wired with a bulb socket so I plugged it in and it works fine. For that much money who needs to experiment. I was going to convert the directionals to LED as well but as a former member here told me that they don't stay on for a long time so it wasn't worth the effort and I agreed with him so I left them alone. I did the brake light from Lighting Alternatives (I think that was the name) but they're no longer in business.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 AM

The front driving lights circuit is completely separate from the blinkers. What they have in common is that the filaments of the front blinkers and the driving lights are in the same bulb - but still separate. Are you sure that your led bulbs have actually two leds in them? They must be different from the rear bulbs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
The front driving lights circuit is completely separate from the blinkers. What they have in common is that the filaments of the front blinkers and the driving lights are in the same bulb - but still separate. Are you sure that your led bulbs have actually two leds in them? They must be different from the rear bulbs.
Yes...the front bulbs are dual fiament...and so are the tail light bulbs, I swapped them out so I know the bulbs are good. The front friving lights are on the same circuit as the speedometer lights, meter light, and tachometer light according to the wiring diagram. those bulbs are only identified as 12V 3W. The other bulbs in the cluster are identified as 12V 3.4W.

I just need to know which type of bulbs and how many.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
read that one...Relay is changed and works fine for LED's. I don't want to use a load resistor as a load equalizer....I might as well keep the original bulbs if I am going to match the current draw of a incandescent bulb by adding resistance to the LED.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
found this thread:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11618

Can anyone verify the bulbs?

Qty | Kaw part # | draw @12V | LED replacement | LED draw @12V
6 | 92069-1007 | 0.20 amps | WLED-W4 | 0.02 amps

The above are used for the instrument cluster--turn signals, high beam, neutral indicator, oil pressure, and headlamp failure.

Qty | Kaw part # | draw @12V | LED replacement | LED draw @12V
5 | 92069-1020 | 0.18 amps | 74-WHP | 0.01 amps

Those listed just above are used for the illumination of speedometer, tachometer, engine temperature, and the fuel gauge.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Garage
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that using led lighting to "lighten the load" on a bike charging system is counterproductive,All the wattage you take out of the lighting system has to be dissipated by the R/R, in the form of heat, as all extra power is shunted to ground that the electrical system doesn't use.In theory it sounds like a good idea and it is if you are wanting to add more accessories to burn up the extra power you have freed up.

The stator /regulator charging system on motorcycles is constantly on ,unlike automotive system which excite the magnetic fields in the alternator and inducing voltage when it is needed and is controlled either by a voltage regulator or in the case of later model vehicles(some motorcylces too) the ECM.

Now led lighting to be seen and to be more durable is not a bad idea,but the thought that you are some how going to lengthen the life of your charging system is a bad assumption,As many on here can attest those with LED lighting have to replace stators too,If you want a more efficient and cooler running system the Mosfet R/R is much more efficient at regulating voltage and is probably one of the best investments for the charging system.

When adding extra lighting ,led's are a good choice because they don't over load an already weak system.

so adding resistors back onto the lights to make them work properly will not hurt the system,The charging systems on these machines is just under engineered for what is asked of them,the stator is too weakly built and not cooled very well is why it is so prone to failure.people who change oil regularly and keep it at the proper levels seem to have less problems than others since it is the only thing that cools the stator.I have often wondered if an external oil cooler would help these bike's charging system last longer.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that using led lighting to "lighten the load" on a bike charging system is counterproductive,All the wattage you take out of the lighting system has to be dissipated by the R/R, in the form of heat, as all extra power is shunted to ground that the electrical system doesn't use.In theory it sounds like a good idea and it is if you are wanting to add more accessories to burn up the extra power you have freed up.

The stator /regulator charging system on motorcycles is constantly on ,unlike automotive system which excite the magnetic fields in the alternator and inducing voltage when it is needed and is controlled either by a voltage regulator or in the case of later model vehicles(some motorcylces too) the ECM.

Now led lighting to be seen and to be more durable is not a bad idea,but the thought that you are some how going to lengthen the life of your charging system is a bad assumption,As many on here can attest those with LED lighting have to replace stators too,If you want a more efficient and cooler running system the Mosfet R/R is much more efficient at regulating voltage and is probably one of the best investments for the charging system.

When adding extra lighting ,led's are a good choice because they don't over load an already weak system.

so adding resistors back onto the lights to make them work properly will not hurt the system,The charging systems on these machines is just under engineered for what is asked of them,the stator is too weakly built and not cooled very well is why it is so prone to failure.people who change oil regularly and keep it at the proper levels seem to have less problems than others since it is the only thing that cools the stator.I have often wondered if an external oil cooler would help these bike's charging system last longer.
I plan on adding a third brake light, rear running lights, and a light bar with driving lights. I also have accessories that I plan on running as well. Lightening the load is the plan...so I can add new stuff
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
front driving lights in the blinkers do NOT light even after swapping those bulbs with the ones from the tail light. This means in this circuit there must be other bulbs that are causing an imbalance in the loads.
I don't know what you mean by load imbalance here, but only the blinkers are sensitive to load when a load sensitive blinker relay is used. And you obviously have replaced that with a load insensitive electronic relay. So, you can use any combination of bulbs and they should all just work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement