Headlight gets very bright, then dims - R/R maybe? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Headlight gets very bright, then dims - R/R maybe?

I have noticed lately that when getting the RPM's up a little, my headlight (and onboard lights) get very bright. Then, after a little bit, sometimes they will suddenly dim back down. I am just wondering if this might be a first symptom of the R/R going bad?

The battery has been maitaining charge and the bike is running excellent, so I am REALLY hoping it isn't the stator going. I have read all about the headaches with it, and even read through the stator cover mod on here (which sounds like a very cool thing - if only I had the tools and such).

I am just wondering how concerned I ought to be that I might get left on the side of the road anytime soon.

Thanks all

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It could be as simple as the voltage monitoring wire (the brown one) not making a good contact to the R/R.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah, before you freak out , check and clean all your connections in the whole charging system. Do a check to for possible shorts, a loose wire can create havoc when trying to diagnose an electrical issue.

Also keep in mind even with a brand new bike , I noticed a increase in headlight brightness when increasing rpms over idle speeds.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Right on - thanks guys.

I wondered about that KM, as I know that some amount of brightness variation is normal. I'm glad you pointed that out. And the advice about checking all the connections and such is sound indeed.

I remember an old Chevy truck I used to have... thing ran great, and I truly loved the old beast. But every now and then, it would just die - I mean like DEAD. I checked and checked everything I could think of, but it was so random, I just couldn't figure it out.

So my dad came over one day to give me a hand. He had me try to start it while he reached up under the dash and randomly jiggled a bunch of the wires. Sure enough, there was a connection under there that had come just loose enough to break the entire circuit and cause the truck to shut down occasionally. I redid the connector under there, and the problem was solved - for 0$!

You would think that would have learned me good, but apparently, I still need reminders sometimes, as I seem to be getting "Sometimers" in my old age! Lol

Thanks again guys - I won't freak, and if anything changes, I'll surely let you (and everyone else) know : )

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Had the same problem a couple of months ago. Lasted for about 2 weeks, then the engine started "jumping" rpms and cutting out on me. Turns out the Negative battery cable was loose. Haven't had a problem since.

Byorec

2000 VN750
Over 37,000 miles
Battery-Minder Plus
Maintenance Free Battery
MCCT
Ride-On
Upsized Metzeler ME880 Tires
Ear Shave
V&H Cruzers Exhaust
Mutazu Saddle Bags
F&S Saddlebag bracket
F&S Luggage Rack
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Also use a meter to get an accurate reading of how high the voltage is going. If it gets too high is could burn some electical components. 14 to just a bit over is okay.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

You know Byorec, that sounds like exactly what I am experiencing. I think I will check my battery cable connections, as well as the other wires as everyone suggested.

I noticed last night that it was doing it really bad - headlight and running lights would get extremely bright, then dim down, then get bright again. I think I even noticed a little cutting out last night too.

I guess I am a little scared about the possibility of the stator or r/r going out, from all the horror stories I read about that on here. I don't have the tools or the talent to do the stator cover mod that is detailed here on the site, and I sure don't want to sink a bunch of $ into it. So I guess what I am saying in short is, please, please, PLEASE let it be the battery connections! Lol

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock