Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Capacitor

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  DavesVulster 
#1 ·
Very interested in wiring a capacitor to the '01 vn750. Anyone know the specs of the capacitor in which i would need. Thanx very much in advance.

#2 ·
Where are you going to put the capacitor in the electrical system?

#5 ·
88mph is ideal. With our weak stators, you'll need to go all LED to get the 1.21 GW required at that speed.

What's up doc? ... bunch o' smart arses uh? What's the cap for? Maybe a sound system?

#6 · (Edited)
I had to adjust my flux capacitor to 100 because I got up to 88mph too fast and traveled back in time 10 minutes before I really wanted to and almost met myself, nearly causing a paradox...

lol, I thought the original post was talking about a flux capacitor ha ha, just noticed that it didn't actually SAY flux tho :doh:. Ok, seriously (cough... serious expression) how can we help with the capacitor?

#9 · (Edited)
Yup... that'll deter... fer seure.

#10 ·
Sorry for the late rseponse. The idea is to replace the battery with a small capacitor. It was an idea I was flirting with, well it turns out alota people are doin it. I would like to know which one is best for our bikes. There are kits but its much cheaper to buy the capacitor alone.

#11 ·
How is the capacity on those things? From what I gather, this is most common in superlight sport/dirt bikes. With the Vulcan's reputation for cold weather starting, its electric fan, and the finicky charging system, it seems like this is one of those "if it ain't broke" situations. I'm sure you could find a better way to save 10lbs.

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah I kinda agree with Bazooka. Cool concept and you may get it to work for a while but (I'm just guessing from mechanical background tho) I think the stator would end up being over worked and burn up. I think it relies on a solid battery to'buffer' the load of the lights and ignition. With a cap inplace of batt, you're relying on the stator/rr to soley support lighting etc. and I don't think it was engineered to do that.
Now it may be a different story if you have a mosfet rr and upgraded stator since those put out similar to a car charging system. Stock Vulcans from what has been shared here, barely charge at low rpm.

Another point- With a cap kit if she doesn't fire up on the first or second attempt I think your done. Caps have very short term charge storage. Good luck with whatever you decide tho.

update Found this from googling: http://www.porkersusa.com/tech_tip_articles/electrical_run_without_a_battery.html

Here are the criteria for determining if you can run your bike without a battery:
Must have kick-start, unless you really like push-starting your bike
Generator bike - Knuckles, Pans, early Shovels, Ironhead Sportsters, aftermarket reproductions, ect
Magneto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.