Charging stays right around 13 volts from idle to 5K rpm - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Charging stays right around 13 volts from idle to 5K rpm

Well I finally uncovered the old girl and fired her up for the first time this season. She has been sitting since June 2008 with a 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of gas. No Seafoam until the summer of 2009, because I didn`t know about it until then. Probably only put in a couple of ounces then but couldn`t get the engine started with my old wet cell battery, so never got any Seafoam into the carbs that season. So it sat a second winter with gas in the carbs.

Bought a new MF-AGM battery in April 2010, installed it and my *Cosmic Lady* fired up on the second try. Added about 4 more ounces of Seafoam and started the bike a couple of times that summer. Last fall I turned the petcock off and ran the carbs dry before winter storage to avoid gumming them up. Brought new battery into the house for the winter.

So a week ago I opened the tank cap and the gas is starting to smell a bit rancid. Turned the petcock on, re-installed the battery, put on full choke (temps about 70-75*F) and cranked her over for 10 seconds (timed), stopped to let the starter cool for 30 seconds, then hit the starter again and she fired right up in another 5 seconds.
Woo Hoo another success story for Seafoam!!

So far this thread looks like it should be in the Fuel and Carbs forum.

Now to the point of the title. I clamped my voltmeter probes to the battery terminals prior to starting the engine and was getting just over 12 v.

After starting and on full choke at ~1500 rpm it climbed gradually to just over 13 v.

Idle at 1100 rpm with choke off it dropped 0.2 v to ~12.85 v
2K rpm - 13 V,
then dropped marginally to 12.75 v all the way from 3-5K rpm.

I guess I have some testing to do on the AC voltage stator output, and the r/r to decide which one is weak.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Did you fully charge batt before installing? If not that may be the problem. Give the system time to charge up the batt.
Glad to see you are making a good recovery. It has been a long time.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Did you fully charge batt before installing? If not that may be the problem. Give the system time to charge up the batt.
Glad to see you are making a good recovery. It has been a long time.
Yes the battery was fully charged, and had just come off the charger.
I let the engine idle for 5-10 minutes to warm up before taking the rpms above 1500.

I`m going to do some more tests before it gets cold, and install my voltmeter before next spring.
Probably just keep an eye on voltage for a bit when I start riding next season.

I didn`t check the bullet connectors on the yellow wires today, but IIRC, when I checked 2 years ago I could see a little bit of green corrosion through the clear plastic shrink tube. I will have to separate those and clean the connection and use some dielectric grease on it, or solder the wires and eliminate the bullets. Then I`ll see if the voltage increases. <shrug>

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

You'll figure it out OHC; after all, it wouldn't be a 750 without a few bumps in the road
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I didn`t check the bullet connectors on the yellow wires today, but IIRC, when I checked 2 years ago I could see a little bit of green corrosion through the clear plastic shrink tube. I will have to separate those and clean the connection and use some dielectric grease on it, or solder the wires and eliminate the bullets. Then I`ll see if the voltage increases. <shrug>
Good idea to check the bullet connectors. As a quick check you can feel each connector after running the bike for a minute or so to see if they are hot.
Last spring I thought I would clean up my bullet connectors even though I wasn't having any problems. I cut off the oem clear plastic connector covers and pulled apart the connectors - they looked to be in good shape although one was not real tight. I squeezed the female connector lightly with needle-nose pliers to make it tighter - this turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE. I cleaned them up, used dielectric grease and reassembled covering with shrink tube. I thought this was good for the life of the bike.
A few hundred miles later, I noticed that one of the connectors was getting hot. Even after one minute of running, I couldn't hold my finger on the shrink tube covering the connector. I cut the shrink tube off and the connector was loose. When I had squeezed on the connector to make it tighter, it made the contact slightly "oval" shaped and it later became loose as it twisted. I then soldered all the connections. So the lesson is: Be careful when cleaning up the connectors. Check to see if they are getting hot - a sure sign of high resistance.

- Safety First

Paul

'04 VN750
'75 CB360T
'08 Concours 14
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Good info here, thanks guys. I haven't had any trouble with my charging system, knock on wood (head), but I was thinking about poking the hornets nest at those bullet connectors. Will be careful for sure when I get to it. I think I'd rather stay with the bullet connectors instead of soldering... unless you guys here think soldering is the way to go??

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Giggity!

Garage
The bullet connectors are a convenience. Soldering would be a nice good connection but you would have to cut & resolder if you needed to replace your stator. Not really a big deal in my opinion. But the catch is, with it soldered you couldn't properly test your stator without cutting the connection as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I suppose you could still test your stator by disconnecting the leads to the R&R & testing at that point.

Last edited by kanuck69; 09-19-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: after thought.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 PM

What exactly does the battery read? A fully charged 12V battery should read 12.6V (2.1V per cell X 6 Cells), although I've heard of them reading higher (not sure if that's a bad thing).

If you quick charge or overcharge a battery, either sealed or conventional wet cell, you end up boiling off the acid/water. This means that if you charged at over 10% of the amperage rating (IIRC ours are rated at 14 amps) or if your charger doesn't automatically shut off on a fully charged battery, you could have done some irreversible damage.

Then again, I'm not sure if this would be a problem once the bike is running, but it might be worth considering. If you have access to another suitable battery, try it and see if anything changes.

If it ain't broke... well I'm sure I can find something that is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement