Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Frey

All Electrics go out

While riding in a benefit yesterday I was running at 55mph at about 5k RPM and the bike started to loss power then the tac went to 8k and bounced around then all electrics went out and I had to coast to a stop. After I sit for a min the lights come back on and she starts runs for a mile or two and cuts off again. It will then run fine for about 50 to 60 miles. what could be causing this? Also is there any kind of kill switch in the tank that can come loss and cause a buzzing sound and if so could this be the issue?

Asatru Rede of Honor rule 16:
Honor yourself, have pride in yourself, do your best and forgive yourself when you must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
While riding in a benefit yesterday I was running at 55mph at about 5k RPM and the bike started to loss power then the tac went to 8k and bounced around then all electrics went out and I had to coast to a stop. After I sit for a min the lights come back on and she starts runs for a mile or two and cuts off again. It will then run fine for about 50 to 60 miles. what could be causing this? Also is there any kind of kill switch in the tank that can come loss and cause a buzzing sound and if so could this be the issue?
OK, 55mph at 5K rpm you must be running in 4th gear because 5k rpm in 5th = about 72 mph.

I can`t help much with diagnosing the electric gremlins, except to note that the tach reads off the front ignition coil.
Not sure why it would jump to 8K rpm when you are losing power though.

The buzzing in the tank sounds like it could be POOGS.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Could be an internal intermittent short-circuit in the battery, but this isn't really supposed to happen with an AGM battery. I had a very similar probem, but with a flooded-cell. How old is your battery? Perhaps you could have the battery tested- this would be a good starting point instead of willy-nilly trying to find a shorted wire or troubleshooting the kill switch next to the throttle.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Garage
Any updates Frey?
I had my tach bouncing once and it ended up being my battery cable came loose. Check all you connections.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Recently replaced my Ignition assy. I had a similar problem. Next time it happens, try to slightly turn the key to the left and right, and see if the bike comes back to life. If not, take note if you were in a turn, as there are MANY wires in that area that can chafe and then short out, causing loads of electrical problems. Be prepared for quite the time untangling the rats nest there.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Frey

Update:

No to POOGS ( I did however use a piece of pantyhose to make a cover) as for the question of the battery I have not had it checked I did kill the battery about a month ago and charged it on my home charger. So a flooded cell or even a dry cell could be the trouble maker. All connections have been checked and as for position of the bike during the cut off it is on the straights when it cuts off. Now to let you know it has not happened since the Saturday ride.

Honor yourself, have pride in yourself, do your best and forgive yourself when you must.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Any updates Frey?
I had my tach bouncing once and it ended up being my battery cable came loose. Check all you connections.
Second that - my negative post came off, had the same "high rev tach" phenomenon. When the cable came completely off, I finally found it and screwed it back in. No prob since...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
If I am reading this right, you lost both ignition and lights when this occurred. The ignition and lights are powered through seperate contacts in the ignition switch. This makes me consider a common point upstream of the ignition switch. I would clean/check/grease the connector on the wire leading from the (+) terminal of the battery to the JB; white with read stripe? I would probably replace the 30 amp fuse for good measure (is the fuse socket clean?). I would also check the white wire leading from the JB to the ignition switch. If you put a continuity (or light bulb) tester on the white wire from the JB to the ignition switch, then pull, twist, and mash on the harness throughout the length of the harness, you might find an area where the continuity fails.

Intermittent problems are difficult to find, and can at the worst leave you stranded. I would carry enough 14 guage wire to go from the battery to the ignition switch for a while. I would also have a plan to be able to easily install it beside the road. I carry a jumper to ground pin 12 of my JB if I have starting issues on a ride. Grounding pin 12 of the JB bypasses the kickstand, clutch, transmission safety switches.

Of course, this is after you have cleaned and tightened the battery connections .

my2cents.

~~C8> Ratt
Will Do: MOSFET, Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Frey

Would a failing stator be the issue? I am going to tear apart the wiring harness today and look for a short but after it happened again last night right after start up I put it on a charger and it fired right up after about 2 hrs on the charger. So I am not thinking it is a short.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Have you cleaned and lubed the ignition switch. It is not to hard of a job. Just make sure that you have some thing to catch the ball and springs that may fly out.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement