Starter relay problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Starter relay problem?

So I let my buddy ride my bike while i was out of town as a thank you for helping me drive to go get it and all that. While I'm gone he had a seal pop out holding coolant and now also the bike wont turn over. I had been having issues starting the bike up once in a while thinking its just an old bike but now it has reached its pinnacle. After tracing and tightening and checking every wire i could see i came to the conclusion it is the relay. It clicks when i push the start button but it doesnt seem like anything is being transferred over. Battery is golden. I have bridged the terminal and the engine turns over struggling to put a smile on my face but it just isnt having it. I need a part number for this piece and does anyone else agree this is most likely my issue?

p.s. i fixed my leak temporarily. its the silver 90 degree elbow pipe on the right side. one shop wanted about 450 to do everything and i just dont see that happening, i got this bike for me to learn! I put the ring back in and sealed it with silicone sealant for now until its not riding weather or it leaks again. again any tips on this is nice too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Push the start button at the same time that you bridge the terminals. This may help it start up.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zis44Zero View Post
So I let my buddy ride my bike while i was out of town as a thank you for helping me drive to go get it and all that. While I'm gone he had a seal pop out holding coolant and now also the bike wont turn over. I had been having issues starting the bike up once in a while thinking its just an old bike but now it has reached its pinnacle. After tracing and tightening and checking every wire i could see i came to the conclusion it is the relay. It clicks when i push the start button but it doesnt seem like anything is being transferred over. Battery is golden. I have bridged the terminal and the engine turns over struggling to put a smile on my face but it just isnt having it. I need a part number for this piece and does anyone else agree this is most likely my issue?

p.s. i fixed my leak temporarily. its the silver 90 degree elbow pipe on the right side. one shop wanted about 450 to do everything and i just dont see that happening, i got this bike for me to learn! I put the ring back in and sealed it with silicone sealant for now until its not riding weather or it leaks again. again any tips on this is nice too
Does the relay just click once when you press the starter button? (Probably OK).
Or does it make a series of clicks as long as the buttom is held down? (Definately needs replacement).

You say the battery is golden. Humor me- How many volts does it have at the terminals?

The fact that the starter struggles to turn the engine even over when you bridge the relay terminals seems to indicate either a weak battery, or a faulty starter in need of a rebuild kit.

Try boosting the bike battery with your car.
Most here say to only boost the bike with the car engine not running.
(I`m not totally convinced of the need for this as both systems are nominally 12 volts, and the reg/rec safely charges up to 15 volts.)

In any case attach the positive clamp - first try onto the battery,

second try to the starter side relay terminal,

and third try- directly to the terminal on the bottom of the starter.

By this process of elimination you should be able to find the faulty part.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I do not know actually, my parents lost (probably loaned and forgot about) my battery jumper and charger with the meter on it... so i have to keep taking it to O'riellys up the street to have them charge it and check it. Its a gel battery and brand spanking new like the box is still sitting on my porch. Ill try testing those tomorrow or monday. no auto store has the relay and i dont have the part number so im no help. On monday i plan to go to the local kawasaki dealerships parts department and check into it. i dont see it being much more than $30 right?

1985 Vulcan 700 - Fenrir

No regrets. Thats my motto, that and everybody wang chung tonight.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I had trouble with mine, and the bike would not start with the bad solenoid unless the start button was depressed at the same time the solenoid was by-passed. The start button works a relay in the j-box that give fire to the coils.

I think a was out 40$ for the one I got off of ebay.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Does the relay just click once when you press the starter button? (Probably OK).
Or does it make a series of clicks as long as the buttom is held down? (Definately needs replacement).

You say the battery is golden. Humor me- How many volts does it have at the terminals?

The fact that the starter struggles to turn the engine even over when you bridge the relay terminals seems to indicate either a weak battery, or a faulty starter in need of a rebuild kit.

Try boosting the bike battery with your car.
Most here say to only boost the bike with the car engine not running.
(I`m not totally convinced of the need for this as both systems are nominally 12 volts, and the reg/rec safely charges up to 15 volts.)In any case attach the positive clamp - first try onto the battery,

second try to the starter side relay terminal,

and third try- directly to the terminal on the bottom of the starter.

By this process of elimination you should be able to find the faulty part.
I am with you on this.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I do not know actually, my parents lost (probably loaned and forgot about) my battery jumper and charger with the meter on it... so i have to keep taking it to O'riellys up the street to have them charge it and check it. Its a gel battery and brand spanking new like the box is still sitting on my porch. Ill try testing those tomorrow or monday. no auto store has the relay and i dont have the part number so im no help. On monday i plan to go to the local kawasaki dealerships parts department and check into it. i dont see it being much more than $30 right?
Don`t be in such a hurry to buy parts before you know you need them.
Ma Kaw will lighten your wallet to the tune of $85. Number 27010 on the diagram:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m4555#sch51201

27010: SWITCH,MAGNETIC
796647 Enter
0-99 $84.51

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

this is a needed part at this point. ill do the test but im about 90% sure this is the cause. Is that the part number i would need to tell my local parts store? also, the whole reason i wanted to buy this part in a store was that if its not the one i need or not the fix i can take it back and get it handled a lot quicker

1985 Vulcan 700 - Fenrir

No regrets. Thats my motto, that and everybody wang chung tonight.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Old Truck Junkie

In most cases they will not take electical parts back.

When mine went bad, it would still click, but it would not activate the switch. There is a spring that works the switch. The plunger retracts with the current flow and the spring pushes a washer that makes the curcuit to the starter. The solenoid got hot and melted keeping the washer from moving. I hope this helps.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
this is a needed part at this point. ill do the test but im about 90% sure this is the cause. Is that the part number i would need to tell my local parts store? also, the whole reason i wanted to buy this part in a store was that if its not the one i need or not the fix i can take it back and get it handled a lot quicker
X2 to niteriders statement that electrical parts are not returnable usually.

Here`s a new aftermarket solenoid on Ebay right now for $36:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...-/280639281969

These guys are lower priced than Bike Bandit, and do have the kawi part numbers listed:
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section...1991&fveh=9040

27010 SWITCH,MAGNETIC
27010-1209 1 $66.85
part number is in bold letters

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-04-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement